Plants Going Brown?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tomtomtom1230

Fishaholic
Reaction score
OK. My tank is a fairly new setup (with matured media) as some of you might know. I'm completely new to having real plants and did do some homework before committing to the cause!

My water stats are as follows:

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0 - 0.1ppm (have done a water change recently, will do another 15% again in a few hours to completely remove any trace of this)
nitrate: haven't been able to test it just yet but it can't be too high, maybe around 10ppm if that due to a large (30%) water change.

tank: 120 litres or 31.5 US Gallons (26.3 Imperial Gallons)

pH: 7.6 on the standard API test kit, should I invest in a high range test kit just to make sure I'm not sitting at something above 7.6?
temperature: 24 degrees Celsius (75.2 degrees Fahrenheit)
substrate: Eco Complete
light: low, 2 15w fluorescent bulbs (look up 'interpet fishpod 120')
ferts: 1ml every other day Seachem Flourish (comprehensive). I add an extra 2ml whenever I do a big water change (larger than 20%).
water changes: 5 - 10% mid-week (usually a Wednesday) and 25% every Sunday. I usually do a basic gravel vac around the plants, never within 3 inches of the visible plant. just to keep things nice and tidy for the bottom feeders.
flow: I'm sure I have enough, I have the outlet pipe facing down the tank which gives a steady flow and then I have a 900L per hour Koralia powerhead at the otherend, facing the opposite direction. All the plants are moving gently in the current but not vigorously. I have adequate surface agitation, too.

New additions: A juvvie BN pleco and a shed load of mopani wood, soaked in boiling water for a day but it's still leaching some of it's tannins.

Plants in question: Echinodorus Compacta (A cousin of the Dwarf Amazon Sword plant I believe)

I plan on giving my tank a bit of a prune later on to remove dying/dead leaves. Is this some kind of deficiency or something I'm doing wrong?

Echinodorus species are almost always grown out of water, when they get submerged they adapt to their new environments by shedding these old leaves. You need to trim them from the crown, and you'll find it'll send new leaves out.

Can I assume that the crown of the plant is the bit where the stems meet near the bottom? :) Thank you for a quick reply, by the way. I'm trying hard not to over-dose the tank with ferts to change the water too often but I'm sure you know how it is with a new tank and an area you don't fully understand yet :p

yep thats correct, right at the bottom. The best advice i can give from a planted tank angle is, water change as regularly as possible for the first couple of weeks. Also you cannot OD plant ferts :good:

Just a thought, should I invest in a higher range pH kit? When I use the standard API kit, it goes straight to the darkest blue on the test. Is it possible that my pH level could be higher than 7.6 (the highest pH that the kit can test for)?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back