Plants dying :: Everything else seams ok.

ftrudeau

Reaction score
Greetings all, hope someone could give me some pointers on this one.

A plant i inserted in my 10 US gal, about 2 weeks ago, is slowly dying.
It is slowly losing its big leaves, which are attached at the base of the plant itself.

A picture is worth 10,000 words, so here are 2 pictures.

Plant 1
Plant 2

Moreover, on another type of plant began losing much of its leaves recently, see this picture ;

Plant 3

Hope someone could identify a possible problem with those pictures.

Thanks !

Hi ftrudeau, first of all how much lighting do u have on the tank (in watts) and also what, if any, fertilisers do u use? and is there any Co2 divises on the tank?

I could not say how much lighting there is, unfortunatelly. However, this is a basic lamp, from 10 US Gal, from Hagen. I do not use any fertiliser, and there is no Co2 divise (what is that anyway =). Furthermore, that that the only change I made recently was to add an air pump. Since then, most of the algue (greenish, air-like algue) was removed. Probably it got intoxicated by the sudden surge of Oxygen ? Can Oxygen can acutally kill my plants ? Thanks.

I've read that too much oxygen flowing into the tank can kill or choke your plants.Mine were looking scraggly and fading a few weeks ago so I searched around and learned to have as little ripple on the surface as possible,which prevents the carbon dioxide from escaping the water as much,.. the plants breathe in the fishes respiration and in turn produce oxygen.

As stated in 1 of the earlier posts, you do not want to much oxygen in the tank. If your are using a "stock" light that will give you problems with live plants. I would suggest a aquaglo light, even then your light level will be low. It looks like that plant you're asking about in pic3 is Ludwigia repens. Under good light the bottoms of the leaves turn a reddish color.

I think your plants are anacharis...looks like it from what's left of them. I had the same trouble with my first batch. Actually, they might be different than anacharis. Anyway...Mine grew thin, pale green, and the leaves were being stripped off. They don't need too much light, but I have started using a timer to allow the plants to get enough light from my flourescent during the day. So far it seems like it's working. I would add fertilizer every week, but not too much. I bought some tablets, but one whole tablets makes algae run amock because it adds a bit too much electrolytes and CO2 to a 10 gallon tank. I usually break it in half and only use half. I also find that the more the plant is tampered with, which is easy if they keep becoming uprooted - making you have to replant them, will also harm the plant. They are also suppose to root in the gravel...which will establish them better in a new tank. Try cutting the ends when you first get the plants and place them in the gravel. This might allow roots to grow out.

I think your plants are anacharis
I think the last one is anyway. I had problems with anacharis too and I left my light on longer and it helped a ton. Also making sure my fish werent hungry really helped. My swords, platys, and sharks all love to munch on this stuff. I recently did a CO2 system (DIY) and they have really taken off. I would recomend to any one with live plants that you do a CO2 as the plants will respond to it and they do need it for growth.

Les

Most reactions

Back