Plants causing cloudy water?

silicon_dt

Reaction score
Hi all. My tank has been cycled for 3-4 months now. I finnaly decided to put some live plants in the tank. I put anacharis (sp?), moneywort, and sword plants in there. Before I put the plants in my tank was crystal clear. Now it it cloudy and won't go away. It has been 3 or so weeks since they have been in the tank and the tank water is still cloudy. Is this normal? I heard someone say plants are supposed to actually clear up the water?! Thanks for any advice!!!

--Daniel

Hi Daniel! Welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

I'm not sure what could be causing the cloudiness from your initial description.

If the problem is caused by stirred up substrate, one thing you might want to try is to add some fresh carbon to your filter. Carbon often clears up particulates like that.

What color is the cloudiness?

The color is white. It seems like it only does it when I add plants in there. For example when I add a zucini in there before the plants where in there the zucini would could the tank in the same way.

That sometimes happens to my tank when i add plants but i found that it was just with disturbing the gravel as i put the plant into the gravel,moreso with the ones that need burrying deeper.
Cant think of any other reason for your problem sorry.

hi silicon_dt
I have to agree with the others the only time i have seen this is when the substrate gets a good digging into such as when you root your plants. The carbon in the filter as suggested by modernhamlet is good advice. partial water changes may also help reduce the cloudiness as well. Good Luck :)

Most reactions

Back