Plant Id Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

t4ppo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have just done a water change, And had a look in my Weir as i usually clean that every couple of weeks, And i have noticed something growing, Its growing where teh water tumbles down the weir walls, So its not fully submerged, Its growing where teh water flows quite fast, It looks like some sort of moss, But im not sure, What i would like to know is what is it? Also is it good or bad, Ie is it there because of good or bad water Quality Cheers Jamie

PIcture:
533503_10151310321492863_2008291182_n_zpsbe3e6003.jpg

It does look like a moss, like a Singapore moss maybe. It's hard to tell because it's not submerged just how it looks. It's not a sign of bad water quality just that it found a home. Moss like java moss and Christmas moss often come in as hitchhikers on other plants. Even a singe "strand" can grow into a large plant. My guess is a piece got into the tank, got caught there, and has taken hold.

If it were in my tank I would remove it, tie it to a piece of drift wood and let it grow. On the overflow like that it will eventually grow large enough to encumber the water flow so leaving it isn't a long term plan.

Thanks for the Helpful advice, How do i go about removing it without killing it? Obviously as you say if it grows larger it will slow my water flow down, or cause the water to rise to go over it,

Thanks

Well, that's another one of the nice things about these kinds of mosses. Just get a pair of small scissors and clip it as close to where it is connected as you can. In some case you can gently pull it off but I like to use scissors myself.

I knew it was one of them. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back