Planning For My 55g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jordan.m

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm slowly planning out my 55g tank. I'm trying to figure out what type of filter I should use. I don't really want to spend more than $100... I also want something relatively quiet. What is the best filter in terms of efficiency? Simply put, what is the best filtration type? Do canister filters do a good job?

I plan on having a good amount of fish (read: a lot) and heavily planted.

Thank you,
Jordan

Hello everyone,

I'm slowly planning out my 55g tank. I'm trying to figure out what type of filter I should use. I don't really want to spend more than $100... I also want something relatively quiet. What is the best filter in terms of efficiency? Simply put, what is the best filtration type? Do canister filters do a good job?

I plan on having a good amount of fish (read: a lot) and heavily planted.

Thank you,
Jordan

With a heavy fish load and a planted tank, on a $100 budget, canister is not only the best solution, but probably the only solution if you're going to use CO2. That said, I am running a Penguin 350 HOB in my 55 and it's doing fine, keeping the water next to crystal clear, and allowing some pretty good plant growth with 2WPG of light and no CO2 (except Excel). That was only my second tank though, so I'd go with an eheim classic 2217 next time 'round (and I am definitely going with a canister in the 75 when I switch that over from being a turtle tank.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back