Pit Bull Scaling A 5Ft Fence...help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

shi24137

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 2yr old female pit bull who has recently started scaling my 5ft chain link fence...HOW can I keep her in? She likes to chase the neighbors dog if he is in our yard and scales the fence to do so...Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

The best way to keep a fence scaling dog in is to extend the fence poles and put up some loose/ floppy fence mesh (stuf like dog mesh or chicken mesh) above the exisitng rigid fence. This usually works a treat against dogs and cats because they get to the floppy part of the fence and generally fall back into their own yard. I have seen where people have had a harness on a dog and attached it to a car wheel rim, probably not the best technique and pit bulls are very strong and determined, and there is a risk of the dog gettting tangled around yard objects and or knocking over its water.

Its often against local by laws to use electric fences in town, but electric fences do work as well, for teaching dogs about respecting fences. A friend of mine had a wayward staffy (intact male) that would go through/ over/ under any fence but steered well clear of the electric fence.

I have seen also collars that can be programmed for the size of your yard and if the dog trys to cross the invisible barrier then it gets an electric shock from its collar. I am sure these kits are not cheap, but would be cheaper than the legal fallout should your dog harm or kill the other dog, other peoples pets of people. I think in some countries these types of kits not be allowed for cruelty reasons.
Can you put up a visual barrier between your dog and the neighbors dog? So that she hopefully cant see it so will be more interested in things in her own yard.

Is she a self relient dog? My old dog would amuse herself for hours with a tennis ball, or a really big bone. Some dogs just never play with toys without a person playing with the toy as well. But if your dog is food orientated you can give her treat balls that dole out food at a slow pace as the dog chases the ball around. Peanut butter inside gongs also works well, as does a frozen meaty bone.

When all else fails the best ways to contain an escaping dog is to have an escape proof roofed dog pen.

But you also need to work out other reasons for her escaping, my sister inlaws old dog had terrible seperation anxiety and would escape the yard within minutes of her going off to work. And if he was locked inside the house he would destroy the house. Is your dog getting enough exercise? Pit bulls are an athletic dog and need to burn off energy. Has she been fully socalised? If so could you join a dog obedience group to help burn off all her physical and mental energy.

Is she spayed? My pit bull did this until I got her spayed. If she is spayed, you may consider the fence extensions, but try spending exercise time with your dog. Pit bulls are typically high energy and very curious. They love playing with other dogs, but I'm sure she would prefer spending time with you. So take her on a good run. She sounds energetic. Or sit in the backyard and play intelligence building games with her, or even work on little parlor tricks. An exhausted dog is a happy dog, after all. Fill her day with activities. She may be less interested in the dog next door then.

Also, pit bulls are excellent jumpers. I've seen Ruca clear a six foot fence before. Try agility training!

attibones said:
Is she spayed? My pit bull did this until I got her spayed. If she is spayed, you may consider the fence extensions, but try spending exercise time with your dog. Pit bulls are typically high energy and very curious. They love playing with other dogs, but I'm sure she would prefer spending time with you. So take her on a good run. She sounds energetic. Or sit in the backyard and play intelligence building games with her, or even work on little parlor tricks. An exhausted dog is a happy dog, after all. Fill her day with activities. She may be less interested in the dog next door then.

Also, pit bulls are excellent jumpers. I've seen Ruca clear a six foot fence before. Try agility training!
^This. I cannot stress this enough. Pit bulls are generally high energy dogs that need over an hour of exercise every day. That's most likely your problem. I would couple more play/exercise/walks with an improved fence.

i wish my pitbull was high energy he is a 57 pound 8 month old puppy that doent jump very high and is super lazy :) he has hiss energetic moments and pulls alot but when I want to play ball with him outside he doesn't really want to go get the ball and when he does he goes super slow I dont overfeed or anything but ehhh i love him to deathvery smart boy :)

He loves his tug of war game though and destroying his beds and my shoes if he has a chance ;(

Baccus, attibones and VickyChaiTea, have all given you great guidance and on the whole is what I would recommend.  Personally I do not go the "electric" route unless all else fails.  The best way to solve a behavioural problem is to identify the reason (hence more questions), fix that, plus provide an alternative behaviour that counteracts it e.g. teach a dog to sit, that jumps up.  In most cases a problem is a normal dog behaviour, it just does not fit in with us, the human e.g. digging up a lawn.  In your case I would say, exhaust your dog with activity so that she is too tired to look elsewhere, stimulate her brain with obedience and other items she wants to interact with (ideas already mentioned), then look at when she is doing this?  If it is when you leave her alone for periods of time, look at how to overcome this period of potential boredom.

Not always a cause, but you may also wish to look at the food you are giving her and make sure that it is not too high in protein, or additives and thus potentially making her hyperactive
w00t.gif

Question already asked, but can you confirm is she neutered?

shi24137 said:
I have a 2yr old female pit bull who has recently started scaling my 5ft chain link fence...HOW can I keep her in? She likes to chase the neighbors dog if he is in our yard and scales the fence to do so...Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Can you also tell us, you say "...who has recently started scaling my 5ft chain link fence", can you think of ANYTHING that may have triggered this behaviour?  Anything changed in routine, or around her, any noises etc?  Is she due on heat i.e. not neutered?

She likes to chase the neighbors dog if he is in our yard and scales the fence to do so...

Why is the neighbours dog in your yard?  Which fence is she actually scaling?
What sort of dog is your neighbours and how old is he, is he castrated or entire?
Do they get chance to play together at other times e.g. when out on a walk?
Are you able to get her to come back to you when you call her in the presence of another dog?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back