Photo Editing Software?

Melly

Reaction score
Sorry, I need your help again :blush:

Now I have bought a digital SLR camera, can anyone recommend any photo editing software that is any good and fairly simple? I see there are a lot about, but I have no idea what to go for or how much I should really expect to spend.

Any help much appreciated :good:

Download a free trial version of photoshop CS2...its pretty good...a bit complicated at first but the basic stuff you need are there! :) http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/

Also photosuite is good...not sure who makes it so do a search on it!! its a bit easier to use than photoshop.

Did you get none at all with the camera? The software that came with mine was pretty good tbh

I downloaded PS7 (quite an old version now) a few weeks ago and it more than meets my needs, want do you want to achieve with it?

photoshop elements is a LOT cheaper than the full-blown version and will suffice for basic use.

Photoshop elements is about £100 and Photoshop about £600 (from a quick look on the adobe store)

photoshop elements is a LOT cheaper than the full-blown version and will suffice for basic use.

Photoshop elements is about £100 and Photoshop about £600 (from a quick look on the adobe store)

www.limewire.com :good:

I haven't actually received the camera yet :D It is on it's way apparently..

I will check out what comes with it and see where I go from there.

In the meantime I will download the Photoshop for the time being just to see what it is like. I only want it for general use at the moment, but my daughter is keen to get her mits on it :rolleyes: I have always been keen on photography, but doing anything serious is all new to me. I just want it as a hobby.

Thanks for the replies :good:

hmmmm :/

I'm not a fan downloading software illegally. If you have the need for it, you should pay for it so the people who have put many many hours of hard work into get their dues. you'd want the same if it was you.

hmmmm :/

I'm not a fan downloading software illegally. If you have the need for it, you should pay for it so the people who have put many many hours of hard work into get their dues. you'd want the same if it was you.

fair enough, i respect you point of view, does that only apply to software though?

If it was a choice between paying for it or not having it, i wouldn't have it, i mean £600??

There is the option i have chosen, was simply giving the OP that option, not everyone realises that its not just music you can download for free.

Limewire may not be the best way to go about getting the programme due to the high level of rubbish on it..and not suitable for kids if they get onto it either!

Your best off downloading the legit programme and if you really do not want to pay for it you can get an activation code from the internet but I wouldn't suggest that...by registering the "cracked" programme you can get caught.

For college work I required a programme that retails at €500 (about US$600 or UK £330.) which in my opinion is just way too much for a student to be paying so I got it off the internet through legal routes and just disabled the time limit on the programme...sorted! Mine for free...

The way I see it is that I'm not uploading this version on the internet but am using it for personal projects and college work...when I go into research I'll be buying the licenced version...so the programme has proved its worth to me since I've had the chance to try out all its features!

Limewire may not be the best way to go about getting the programme due to the high level of rubbish on it..and not suitable for kids if they get onto it either!

Your best off downloading the legit programme and if you really do not want to pay for it you can get an activation code from the internet but I wouldn't suggest that...by registering the "cracked" programme you can get caught.

For college work I required a programme that retails at €500 (about US$600 or UK ?330.) which in my opinion is just way too much for a student to be paying so I got it off the internet through legal routes and just disabled the time limit on the programme...sorted! Mine for free...

The way I see it is that I'm not uploading this version on the internet but am using it for personal projects and college work...when I go into research I'll be buying the licenced version...so the programme has proved its worth to me since I've had the chance to try out all its features!

substitute 'internet' for 'limewire' and the first statement still rings true and yet here we all are!

Are you agreeing with me or not then, i can't decide whether you consider your form of theft to be a morally better way of gettting hold of it than mine?

Well I guess that true xingumike...the internet is no place for kids!! :)

In my case, I got the programme for free while still being in college but I know that once I begin working I will have the money to purchase the full licenced programme. I wouldn't consider it theft mind you, I would rather call it extended testing because I will fork out the cash to the company in the end. They wouldn't be getting my money if I didn't get a good chance to try out the programme in the first place so they win in the end anyway and I'll be happy with the programme!

Look at limewire....if you download the basic version you are ment to pay to get Limewire pro...but if you go into the basic limewire and search for limewire pro you can just download it straight!!

Would you pay 600 - 1000 euro (1200 dollers) for a programme if you can get it off the internet for free and it was only for your own personal use?

Well I guess that true xingumike...the internet is no place for kids!! :)

In my case, I got the programme for free while still being in college but I know that once I begin working I will have the money to purchase the full licenced programme. I wouldn't consider it theft mind you, I would rather call it extended testing because I will fork out the cash to the company in the end. They wouldn't be getting my money if I didn't get a good chance to try out the programme in the first place so they win in the end anyway and I'll be happy with the programme!

Look at limewire....if you download the basic version you are ment to pay to get Limewire pro...but if you go into the basic limewire and search for limewire pro you can just download it straight!!

Would you pay 600 - 1000 euro (1200 dollers) for a programme if you can get it off the internet for free and it was only for your own personal use?

definately not lol, thats why i use limewire, thats my point!

copyright laws must be such a nightmate to administrate nowadays, how far do you go before you draw a line? Par example, it would be interesting to know if idlefingers took the photo of the neon that he/she uses as the avatar!

Apologies to the OP, this has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, sorry :)

I don't want to get into a full-blown debate because it's off topic for what Melly was asking, but there is definitely a blurry line between real life and the internet and where people's morals lay in between.

I don't think excuses of personal use or the fact you bought it later make any difference. You wouldn't go to a shop and nick something only to say "I was going to come back and pay for it in a few years time when I have the money" when your being questioned.. or perhaps you would. It all depends where you draw the line.

To finish, the price tag which accompanies the full version of photoshop emphasizes the fact that it's a professional program.. and for a designer, the price tag is quickly justified by what you get in return. If it isn't for you, then perhaps photoshop is the wrong answer?

And on one final note, adobe caters for the fact that students cant afford photoshop - you can get the entire creative suite for £300, I think.

At the end of the day, people are always going to commit theft in all sorts of ways. I just don't like hearing it being encouraged by people suggesting you should go straight to limewire to get it.

*edit* I wrote my post while xingumike was replying, so didn't see your post.. Yes, copyright for the internet must be a complete nightmare for those involved. I'm a developer, but thankfully I don't have to deal with that side! And yes, the neon is my own photo (and edited in photoshop :) ). My apologies again for helping to lead this off topic!

Melly,

For something on the simpler side of things, and the legitimately free side of things, you could also look at picassa by google. HERE

It doubles as a reasonable photo storage/management application. It has slideshows, a neat timeline function, a cd function, export at different sizes and qualities function. On the editing front it has basic functionality, so its more of the touching up, colour change and cropping side of things, and not a proper editing app like photoshop (i much about with a copy at work to do things like my signature - work licenced copy (legit) !!!!). So if simple touching up of photos is what your after, this does the trick, it has a feel lucky function which optimises photos for you too.

The neat thing about it is that it saves the edits in an edit description file and applies it to the original. Then you can view or export to a changed photo if you want to. Save accidentally changing the original.. !

I would at least take a look at it. If its not up to the editing task, then its a neat FREE management tool of the true free variety.

I'm with idle fingers. If you want some software because it helps you, then pay for the privellidge. If nobody paid, there would be nothing much there to help you!

Squid

Oooooer,

1) I forgot to log out and then the computer decided it was time to have flu (must be male :rolleyes: )

2) What a can of worms I opened up :blink: :blink: :fun:

3) I am a mere housewife who wants to get the best out of her family and holiday pics (with the odd scenery or sunset thrown in for the feel good factor) :D

4) I am not into "nicking" things off the internet and I usually pay for whatever I need. If I can't afford it, I don't get it (unless Bank says "Yayyyyyyyyy, go ahead") :D

Thanks for all the input :good: Don't worry about going "off topic" - it makes interesting reading. I value all opinions and take them on board.

BTW - my pic of the Bala Shark was taken by my goodself :D :D

Squid ........... just noticed the Nanoo Tank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely fab :D :D :D

Blimey, how many years ago was THAT on :blush: :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back