Ph Query

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lunar Jetman

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Just tested my PH and I'm a little confused with the results so though you guys might be able to help

Using he API kit, the standard PH comes up blue (left below) so thinking it above 7.6 I retested with the higher PH test and got the middle. Thinking this was closest to the 7.4 I retested with the higher PH again (right)

It looks too deep a blue to be close to 7.4 on the first test but the other two suggest it is. I welcome your thoughts,

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7377/y3nk.jpg

I gave up trying to test my PH with that kit.

Sorry to put it like this but the API Test kit is rubbish! You need a better one :)

In testing pH using the API master kit there are two different tests. One says pH and the other High Range. The idea is unless you have a bit of an idea where your pH is, you pick one of the two and test. If the low range kit is the one you start with and it comes out at the highest reading (7.6) then you also do the high range test. If it reads 6.0 to less than 7.6, you know it is likely accurate. Except if it reads 6.0. I could be lower. But for most folks 6 is too low and not normal.

If you start with the high range kit, reverse the process. If it reads at the 7.4 bottom number, you would then do the low range test. If the high range reads from over 7.4 to 8.8, that is your pH except if its 8.8. But again most fish keepers don't want to be that high either.

For most folks tap water will be above 6.0 and under 8.8.

Colonel Dibble, I can tell you I have cross checked the results of the API pH kits against digital pH testers. To my surprise the API kit was pretty much giving me the same readings as the expensive digital testers. I also use a continuous digital monitor on one tank which give current TDS, Temp. and pH readings. This and the API pH kits pretty much agree as well. So I wonder on what basis you are saying they are rubbish?

Readings aren't accurate enough and countless times I have had faulty bottles. 

TwoTankAmin said:
In testing pH using the API master kit there are two different tests. One says pH and the other High Range. The idea is unless you have a bit of an idea where your pH is, you pick one of the two and test. If the low range kit is the one you start with and it comes out at the highest reading (7.6) then you also do the high range test. If it reads 6.0 to less than 7.6, you know it is likely accurate. Except if it reads 6.0. I could be lower. But for most folks 6 is too low and not normal.

If you start with the high range kit, reverse the process. If it reads at the 7.4 bottom number, you would then do the low range test. If the high range reads from over 7.4 to 8.8, that is your pH except if its 8.8. But again most fish keepers don't want to be that high either.

For most folks tap water will be above 6.0 and under 8.8.

Colonel Dibble, I can tell you I have cross checked the results of the API pH kits against digital pH testers. To my surprise the API kit was pretty much giving me the same readings as the expensive digital testers. I also use a continuous digital monitor on one tank which give current TDS, Temp. and pH readings. This and the API pH kits pretty much agree as well. So I wonder on what basis you are saying they are rubbish?

I'm still a bit confused by this. I did the normal test and it came out the highest so I did the high range test and it came out the lowest. By your logic I could end up testing myself into oblivion. Looking at the image, what do you think?

Shelster said:
I would say 7.6
Do you buffer your water?
Thanks Shelster. No it's straight out he tap. (After being dechlorinated of course!)

I hate using pictures of test results. I hate using other peoples test results no knowing they were done 100% right. that doesn't mean folks do it wrong, it just means that possibility is left open. But most important;ly one should always read the results with the tubes led against the white part of the rdard next to the appropriate color bars. The picture provided is useless in terms of viewers being able to judge the actual colors.

Consider the low range test- add three drops. Now unless one is super careful, those 3 drops may not be unifom. And if they are not, a very small amount over or under would easily result in .1 or .2 difference. How one holds the bottle and dispenses the drops when testing is important.

The best I can offer here is that the actual pH is likely about 7.6. But I won't say that for sure based on how the picture included shows the results.

tank0168.jpg

I was always told to disregard the first drop too, so I drop that onto tissue, then put three drops into the tube.

I can't remember why though :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back