Pets At Home

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scouse_andy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Pets at Home have just opened a new store in my home town and yesterday was the grand opening with activities for the kids and 10% off everything.

I popped in just out of curiosity.

To my amazement, there was a five piece brass band standing right in the middle of the fish section belting out their music and some very stressed fish around.

There was not much in the way of livestock but I was surprised to see a range of cichlids including a load of inch long Firemouths and a range of Mbuna of a similar length. No notices that I could see to tell buyers of the potential size of these fish or their agressive nature.

I then saw a dad buying a brand new 35-litre aquarium and being sold 5 Mbuna to put into it for his kids! I know that you are supposed to overstock Mbuna but I don't think that is how you do it somehow.

Needless to say I will not be returning.

Big chain shops don't have a good reputation on fish forums, that isn't to say there arn't any decent ones, but on the whole they have a reputation of not being the best. Seems you havn't got a good one.

My local P@H arn't very good, they do sell fish like FM, flowerhorns and even red tailed cats and snakeheads. The problem comes when they don't give the correct advice eg. oscars are fine for 30 gallons, red tailed cats only reach 28" etc.

my p@h is rubbish aswell, i heard someone say
theres a dead fish there
assistant said i just put it in the gravel!
customer: that is going to disease the rest off the fish if you do that, it's ridiculous
assistant: i was talking about the plant not the fish
customer walked out in disgust as did i

Odd the pets at home in great Yarmouth is great, I never seem to find any issues with the advice given and if anything they seem to be more against giving goldfish for bowls and such. I seen one person walk out because they wouldn't sell him the tank and fish without setting it up first.

The tanks never seem bad or anything.

The one in Stockport is quite good, only 1 dood who knows what is what the rest are zombies.

but if your in Manchester - Southmanchester aquatics ( The Abyss) is a good place - in stockport

Went to P@H 3 days ago, needed some food (only place that sells hikari near me). Looked at their stock and was horrified, they had:
From what I can remember on the little info cards they had. ALL sizes are correct as I made it a point to remember them.
Texas cichlid - May be aggressive towards other fish. Maximum size 10cm
Tiger shovelnose catfish - Tankbuster. This fish can grow large. Maximum size 40cm

Thats all I can remember exactly, there were others but I can't remember the 'maximum' sizes exactly.

Pets at home near me sucks, 1 word for them which i cant say on here as im respectable :)

Steve stiffler in american pie says a lot though :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back