People With Pythons Or Similar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChrisP

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How do you get your water temperature to match that of the tank without a mixer tap? Also how do you add your water treatment, just add to the tank once it has refilled? :unsure:

How do you get your water temperature to match that of the tank without a mixer tap? Also how do you add your water treatment, just add to the tank once it has refilled? :unsure:

I think the best way would be to add the cold water very very slowly back into the tank and keep the heater/filter on when refilling to keep the water flowing round the tank.

I add my water treatment when starting to refill, but think everyone's different long as it gets added.

:)

Leaving the heater plugged in while water is low will crack the element though will it not?

Leaving the heater plugged in while water is low will crack the element though will it not?

If the heater gets exposed to air it sure will.

I think much depends how much water you remove and how cold your supply is, I'd also turn the thermostat so that the heater is on permanently and never change so much water that the heater is exposed or put the heater lower in the water. If you are really concerned you could always get a second heater to put in the bottom of the tank ad configure it to be always on too and direct the incoming water directly at it - remember to turn it off before removing !!!

Before we got the combi boiler installed I used the slow trickle and full on heater method, who cares if it takes a while, it gives you chance to do some of those other chores while you are in there.

Now we have the combi boiler I can dial the temperature I want into the boiler controls and hey presto ...

For dosing I work out how many litres I am adding and how much treatment is needed by dividing the tank into 10 equal vertical divisions on a plastic rod I have, in my case with the current tank that is approx 20 litres or 2000ml per division so I add sufficient treatment for that amount in advance at each stage by pouring the treatment into what is the gravel cleaner so it gets thoroughly mixed.

I do a 50% change each week so if I were to do it with a hosepipe and cold water it would have to be very slow indeed. I think what I may do is look at how long of a hosepipe I would need to trail from the mixer tap downstairs all the way to the first floor. I think that would be my safest bet.

I empty 50% via 5 buckets and the old style siphon, so that I can hoover all the mulm and other dirt plus remove as many baby snails as possible.

I then fill via a hosepipe that goes out the kitchen window then trails all the way round the outsides of the house and in through the study window and then fill the tank with the hosegun on ´mist spray´ setting which then fills the tank slowly.

I use 2 bulldog clips and an elastic band to hold the gun in position.

I also use only cold water with the heater off (reduces the temp from 26ish to 22 and the fish dont seem to mind as they atart to get very frisky.)

Then as soon as it is full it is on with the heater, on with the UV and then after a minute or 2 on with the heater.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back