April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kyshiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! I am interested in setting up a species tank for pea puffers, but I need to know some stuff!

Can I keep just one?

What size tank should I get?

What do they eat?

Can they have any other tank mates?

Thank you!

Depends on the tank how many you could have, about 1 per 5 gallons, although they are territorial so be careful if you plan on keeping multiple. Other fish are not a good choice since Pea Puffers are rather territorial and carnivores. They are carnivores so live food or even frozen bloodworms are recommended, they likely will not eat dried food. For my angelfish and gourami, I like to get them the smallest ghost shrimp my lfs has at the time and this would also be a good choice, although somewhat pricey(each shrimp runs me $0.40).

Solitary is good and preferred
5+ gallons for each puffer
Live food or frozen
No tankmates

Thank you for your reply! So if I wanted to keep one, it could be in a 25 litre tank? Would that be alright?

Last edited:
Ok cool! I have many Malaysian trumpets and pond snails, so that will be good! Would Ramshorns work as well?
Would they be alright in this tank:
or this one:

And do hang on back filters make loads of noise?
Those tanks would be good and the sound depends on the filter. I personally use a Top Fin Pro filter and have very little sound

Ok cool! I have many Malaysian trumpets and pond snails, so that will be good! Would Ramshorns work as well?
Would they be alright in this tank:
or this one:

And do hang on back filters make loads of noise?
It depends on the filter. I've used Aqueon Quietflow and I have an Aquaclear. Both are quiet enough for a bedroom.

Those tanks would be good and the sound depends on the filter. I personally use a Top Fin Pro filter and have very little sound

It depends on the filter. I've used Aqueon Quietflow and I have an Aquaclear. Both are quiet enough for a bedroom.
Ok, I will check those filters out. Thank you!
Do pea puffers actually need a filter? I'm guessing yes.

A type of snail. There are lots of different species ranging from tiny pest snails to large ornamental snails. They are characterised by having flat spiral shells.

What is Ramshorns?
Here is a picture of one, but there are many colours!
1667323193163.png

I'm wondering how easy it is to find a pea puffer. I don't believe I've seen any at my LFS's around the northwest Atlanta area. Are these a, "you gotta order them" kinda freshwater fish?

I'm wondering how easy it is to find a pea puffer. I don't believe I've seen any at my LFS's around the northwest Atlanta area. Are these a, "you gotta order them" kinda freshwater fish?
Umm well I found mine at a Maidenhead Aquatics, which is the chain of fish stores here in the UK. I think my LFS will be getting them in because the manager really wants them in the shop (but they can olny do that because they have had a massive extension on the shop)

So possibly where you are it might be worth asking to order them in, but I don't really know! Sorry :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back