Outlining Setup Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You are right, I had the model numbers out.

I can't vouch for the US, but I know in Europe all the nano streams come with magnets as there is no other way to mount them (unlike the original streams).

As I said, they are expensive, but they will last. Tunze are the best manufacturer of aquarium products. They were the first to use protein skimmers that did not rely on air stones and they made the first powerhead specifically for aquarium use.

Cheaper than the 6055 are the 6045 (one of which I have on my current tank) which give 4,500 LPH (around 1,189 GPH) for 8W. I got mine for £60, so at the current mickey mouse exchange rate that would give around $120.

You find yourself in a trade off between very high costs now and much lower running costs and cheaper now but more expensive month on month.

It's all about how you want to go, I am an advocate of the Tunze way, but that is becuase I have done large sump pumps and the like and I now try and look at the long term costs of reefkeeping (both electricity and replacement).

And if you want serious flow you can always pick up the 6300. Only around 70-80W of juice and it turns over 30,000 LPH (7,925 GPH) ;) Could do your washing in that.

Tunze makes fantastic equipment, wish it was cheaper here in the States. Dont forget, if you want to impliment surge or sway in the tank, you'll need to add a controller, the more expensive model of powerhead, and perhaps a second powerhead, making the cost very high.

Two steps forward, one step back. Very common when setting up a new tank, especially a big one like a 120. Keep the questions and ideas flowing :)

I said 1 step forward, 2 steps back :shifty:

Anyway, my latest thought (for some unknown reason) was 2 independant CL's each with there own 4-way and a snapper. Not sure why or how the thought even came in my head, but before i had time to abolish it, i was so rudely :D interrupted with the most beautiful aquascaping i've seen to date.

Thread here

In essense pic:

aquascapingta7.jpg

Tunze makes fantastic equipment, wish it was cheaper here in the States. Dont forget, if you want to impliment surge or sway in the tank, you'll need to add a controller, the more expensive model of powerhead, and perhaps a second powerhead, making the cost very high.

Two steps forward, one step back. Very common when setting up a new tank, especially a big one like a 120. Keep the questions and ideas flowing :)

Just a quick point that a number of companies make cheapr wavemakers in the form of an extension/multi plug that you plug your powerheads into and then the power into each socket is varied. While these appear a nice cheap way of doing it, most (read lamost all, even a large chunk of Tunze stock) powerheads run off AC and are not desiogned for fluctuations and coming on and off a lot and these wavemakers will shorten the lifespan of the powerheads attached.

The Tunze controllables run on DC (12 or 24V IIRC) and are designed from the ground up to be controllable.

And don't worry about changing your mind, it is part of the fun in the planning stage.

Just a quick point that a number of companies make cheapr wavemakers in the form of an extension/multi plug that you plug your powerheads into and then the power into each socket is varied

sure, alot of components are on 'alternating' current but that just seems wrong from most stand points. That was ruled out a while ago. Thanks for the heads up.

Amen to that Andy, I hate those AC controllers that basically ruin pump magnets with their constant on-off cycles. I only know of three GOOD ways to get wave action in a tank, perhaps you know another:

1. Tunze system with appropriate equipment (either the wavebox or the controller)
2. Ocean Motions 4-way with a little extra plumbing for a closed loop
3. Expensive DIY setups using AC pumps and a frequency controller instead of the common on-off ones.

Not sure if anyone makes a good AC frequency controller marketed for marine systems. Its too bad you cant just control voltage with AC motors, would make things so much easier :)

I started following this thread on rc about modding ASM skimmers and read how they're using Enkamat material for the mod. I went to Colbond's site and found out that they give free samples. Of course I signed up for some :shifty: and had a package come in the mail today :).

When I heard the mail lady knock I thought for sure it was drill bits, as I had completely forgot about this. :rolleyes:

=============================================
Package Contents:
I requested 2 samples each of Enkamat and EnkamatPlus - received

1x Thank you letter and brief product descriptions.
3x Various Literatures (based on selection check marks, i'm sure)
1x Business card from manager of sales & marketing of Industrial products.

Enkamat sample is 3x5
EnkamatPlus sample is 8.5x11

woot!
=============================================

My camera is only a phone and doesn't do much for ya, I'll try to describe the differences for ya. E-Plus is twice as thick and much firmer as the regular Enkamat. Also the weaving isn't quite as random as it is with Enkamat. The squares that the weave form are roughly .5x.5". Lastly, the E-Plus is backed with a fabric but can come off easily if you so chose.

best i can do with camera phone :/

enkamatmg2.jpg

That's all for now.

Ah the meshwheel mod. GREAT for recirculating skimmers. I considered doing it but after running my plain old "boring" EuroReef (same maker as ASM) with the needlewheel, I get more than enough skimmate out and didnt want to bother :lol:. Then again my tank is only a 45 with a low bioload

So my tank has yet to come in. I've been getting stir crazy so I floated around some LFS's the other day and saw a 72x18x22.. and of course fell in love. Then one of the guys tried to explain that having Ax2x2 would be more beneficial for aquascaping (yea, maybe.. but forego that wonderful panaramic space for it!?)

Then I saw the 180... :drool: 72x2x2 :shifty:

We'll see what happens i guess. I put a 50% deposit on the 120 with the LFS and told them that I didn't want to be "that guy" that screws them on shipping or anything, but if there is a way to 'conveniently' back out of it, and start in the 180 I think I'm game.

I may not be able to get it set up as soon as I want due to some shady stuff with my landlord because I may end up moving (no sense in setting up and tearing down shortly after) so a buddy said he could store it for me. I'm in an up/down duplex and the landlord is on 1st. I went out to check the breakers/amps/etc for the room i want the tank in and noticed he has his shop/business wired into our panel upstairs :grr:. potentially 28 months of backpay/small claims/etc. What a mess huh?

My boss suggested looking into part time building maintenance at an apt building to waive rent and/or supplement my new unfound addiction :D ... sounds tempting.

On a good note: My refund, state and fed came in this morning :good:

a little update: I ended up sticking with the 120 and it has arrived :good:. In the meantime i had picked up a 14g biocube to occupy my time and that tank has completely enveloped me, lol. I painted the back of the 120 and will be working on the stand as soon as some free time comes my way. I think I'll put this thread on pause and start up a nano one possibly. Still workin on a camera thats worth something :blush:

a little update: I ended up sticking with the 120 and it has arrived :good:. In the meantime i had picked up a 14g biocube to occupy my time and that tank has completely enveloped me, lol. I painted the back of the 120 and will be working on the stand as soon as some free time comes my way. I think I'll put this thread on pause and start up a nano one possibly. Still workin on a camera thats worth something :blush:

"Consumed by the dark side young skywalker has become"

wow ski wow................................

ski = nerd :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:..................j/k but you deserve that for the star wars quote.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back