Oscar digging holes n chasing off algae eaters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Damien Davis

Reaction score
Ok so I have three oscars a tiger stripe albino tiger strip and a red fiery Oscar both tiger Oscar seem to coupled up but all three gets along fine. Long story short my Tiger Oscar is the biggest and has been digging holes in the gravel on one side of the tank and also started chasing the algae eaters n red fiery Oscar from that side of the tank can someone please help me understand what’s going on.

I have a 150 gallon tank that has the three and two algae eaters do I have to many fish in a tank of that size

I have a 150 gallon tank that has the three and two algae eaters do I have to many fish in a tank of that size
No, not at all. That sounds perfect. Depending on how long you've had them maybe they just have to establish their pecking order. Do those big water changes every week. Oscars get a disease called Hole in the Head. Not sure what causes it but it starts with dirty water. Oscars produce a lot of waste matter.

Ok so I went to clean the tank today n my large Oscar attacked my hand and want let me on that side of the tank is this a sign eggs may be in my tank

As far as I know that's just something they do. If there were eggs you would see them. Did that startle you ? @Metalhead88 what are your thoughts on this ?
Yup. Sounds like normal Oscar behavior to me. Have you seen any other Oscar in particular hanging out alongside this problematic Oscar? If so then I would say you potentially have some breeding going on. If there were eggs, as back in the fold has mentioned you would likely see them. They lay hundreds of eggs.

From what you've described, it seems that this one Oscar is setting up that side to keep for himself.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I went to the shop where I got them and he came over and said i had to put the two tigers together cause they partnered up so I bought another tank which is 110 gallons that I have them in now everyone is happy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back