Ordered frogbit. Got this. Is everything bigger wholesale?

connorlindeman31 31

Plantman
Fish of the Month 🌟
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Supporting Member ⭐
📋 Contest Moderator
Joined
Nov 18, 2021
Messages
5,317
Reaction score
6,460
Points
113
Location
37.2431° N, 115.7930° W
I ordered frogbit from my wholesaler.
They sent me this:
Is it a different frogbit?
image.webp
 
There are several species of "Frogbit." Was there the scientific name on the package or invoice or list you ordered from?

The "tropical" Amazon species is Limnobium laevigatum. It will grow emersed as a bog plant.

A second species in this genus is Limnobium spongia. It does bear a striking resemblance to the plant you have. I've got an issue with my PC just now and can't load photos, but a Google search of this species will bring up plenty.

There is also Hydrocharis morsus-ranae but I had this one and it looks near identical to the L. laevigatum. Your plant does not look like either of these.
 
It resembles water hyacinth as well.
whyacinth_graves_lovell_alabama_department_of_conservation_and_natural_resources_bugwood_3247.jpg
especially when the sponge part is small like this one
 

Most reactions

Back
Top