Options

karneval

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Alabama ♥
I know there are about fifty million of these stocking options threads, but this really is the only place to post them. Sorry!

Okay, a little background on my tank: 14 (US) gallons, newly set up. (Set up for a week, but is cycled - took filter media from a cycled tank.) Planted, but just barely. I'll add more plants eventually, there are currently 2 Sagittaria subulata, 2 java ferns, and a tiny lucky bamboo stem that I broke off of one of my potted plants and stuck in to become rooted. It'll probably be moved once it gets bigger, and once I get more plants.

Okay, stock: 1 male betta (he's pretty calm, flares every once in a while but is all bark and no bite), 1 small apple snail, 1 small female bulldog pleco. I don't want to add anything for about a month, just thought I'd get to researching fish now.


I'd like to add some ottos - maybe 4? And I want something else in the mid/top level of the tank, some more action and color, but I seriously have no idea what. I'd like to hear people's opinions on the betta/gourami thing. I've read completely different things - that bettas and gouramis just can't be kept together, and also that they can, but only if the tank is well planted and if you get a pair of (dwarf) gouramis.

I just don't even know what to trust. Obviously it depends on the personalities of the fish. I'd just like to hear opinions on that. I also don't really want any kind of tetra. Just not my thing for some reason. But I am open to all kind of options, and will look into tetras if you guys think they'll be the best thing.

Uh, I have gravel substrate, an HOB filter, temp stays around 75/76F during the day and 72/73 at night. I guess that's all. :)
 
I know there are about fifty million of these stocking options threads, but this really is the only place to post them. Sorry!

Okay, a little background on my tank: 14 (US) gallons, newly set up. (Set up for a week, but is cycled - took filter media from a cycled tank.) Planted, but just barely. I'll add more plants eventually, there are currently 2 Sagittaria subulata, 2 java ferns, and a tiny lucky bamboo stem that I broke off of one of my potted plants and stuck in to become rooted. It'll probably be moved once it gets bigger, and once I get more plants.

Okay, stock: 1 male betta (he's pretty calm, flares every once in a while but is all bark and no bite), 1 small apple snail, 1 small female bulldog pleco. I don't want to add anything for about a month, just thought I'd get to researching fish now.


I'd like to add some ottos - maybe 4? And I want something else in the mid/top level of the tank, some more action and color, but I seriously have no idea what. I'd like to hear people's opinions on the betta/gourami thing. I've read completely different things - that bettas and gouramis just can't be kept together, and also that they can, but only if the tank is well planted and if you get a pair of (dwarf) gouramis.

I just don't even know what to trust. Obviously it depends on the personalities of the fish. I'd just like to hear opinions on that. I also don't really want any kind of tetra. Just not my thing for some reason. But I am open to all kind of options, and will look into tetras if you guys think they'll be the best thing.

Uh, I have gravel substrate, an HOB filter, temp stays around 75/76F during the day and 72/73 at night. I guess that's all. :)

Id go for a pair of Blue Rams and a group of 6 smaller tetras. Neons, glowlights, rummynoses etc.
 
Will the Rams be okay with my betta? And my pH is 7.0. Don't they like the pH around 6?
 
I'd asked a ram related question a couple weeks ago, and somebody said they were successful keeping and breeding them in a ph of 7.4, which is almost as high as mine. Cockatoo dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma cacatuoides) do well outside their ideal parameters, and are known not to die at the faintest hint of my city's water like rams do, they might be an alternative if you're worried.

Edit: Oh, and just to add, be careful about ottos, and make sure you have a few plans ready to get them to eat. Mine will barely touch anything I put in the tank - they hang on veggies, but don't seem to be eating any of it. I'm trying to grow algae on rocks for them, but so far I've got nothing but odd questions about my "bucket garden."
 
I'd suggest posting this in the betta section, there a few people there who know bucketloads about betta's.

From what I've heard though it comes down the personality of your betta. Some are passive, some become aggressive-and its a risk sticking anything in the tank with it until you know which. If you do decide to put other fish in there (other than corys etc, which seem to get along fine with betta's) make sure you have the option to rehome them if it goes wrong.

Oh-and tetra's are known for going for betta's fins.

But like I say, post in the betta part of the forum and you'll get a more comprehensive and knowledgable answer.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top