Nt Labs Brine Shrimp Hatcher

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
4,734
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
W.Yorks, UK
Anybody used one of these? Found one on ebay at what seems to be a good price, but is it actually a good kit to have?
 
Agree with the above. When I hatch mine out I just use a 2 liter bottle cut in half, smaller end inverted into the large opening on the bottom half. Just add a light, brine shrimp mixture, an airpump with airline, and a bit of rigid airline tubing. Start the aeration and check back in 24 hours to see if they have hatched.
 
Expensive gimmicks IMHO
Make your own hatchery and purchase your own cysts
Regards
C
 
Expensive gimmicks IMHO
Make your own hatchery and purchase your own cysts
Regards
C

You can make your own, and probably a better one from items around the house.
 
I brought this hatchery & I really like it, is it the one that goes in the tank?

I know you can make them pretty easy, but I am just useless with that kind of thing & would make a big mess, I like it because its not too big, you attach it inside your tank, so its at a good temp, it has light & is out of the way from little interfering childrens hands! I just got a gang valve for my current air pump & was good to go.
 
im thinking the same thing as you, i saw this in a pet shop when i was on holidays ages ago and im still thinking of getting it, *logs on to ebays* probably will get it looks really good ;)
 
when you make your own homemade hatchery, what salt do you add and how do you get the bbs out with out puttin salty water in your tank...sorry for been dumb my mind sblank
 
I use rock salt. To get them seperated just put a coffee filter over a glass and suck some out with a turkey baster or other similar device and squirt the water containing the shrimp into the coffee filter. Be sure to stop aeration and let the cysts seperate from the shrimp or you will feed a bunch of empty shells. Use the light to concentrate the shrimp in one area. Once seperated, use the turkey baster to add a little tank water on top of the shrimp to rinse them. Put a little more and suck up the shrimp and now fresh water and squirt it in the tank where you want your fish to feed.
 
Soz to hijak, but how often do you need to repeat the process if you are feeding betta fry, do you need to hatch a new batch everyday?
 
I use rock salt. To get them seperated just put a coffee filter over a glass and suck some out with a turkey baster or other similar device and squirt the water containing the shrimp into the coffee filter. Be sure to stop aeration and let the cysts seperate from the shrimp or you will feed a bunch of empty shells. Use the light to concentrate the shrimp in one area. Once seperated, use the turkey baster to add a little tank water on top of the shrimp to rinse them. Put a little more and suck up the shrimp and now fresh water and squirt it in the tank where you want your fish to feed.

thanks drobbyb ... rock salt as in the one from the shop for them salt dispensers you use on your food :P
 
Any uniodized salt works, you can get a pretty good size box of pickling salt pretty cheap. I use cattle salt from a feed store, 50 pound sack is under $5.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top