Not Ready Yet, But.......

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shelly_Otterkin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK lets say I scored a great old tank at a yard sale that is built in to a bambo "house" Like a Tiki hut. I think its about 10 gal. Anyways the roof of the house has plenty of room in it to add lighting but its a closed space with only a "chimmny" to vent out of. I am not really wanting to grow any high end corals, maybe just some soft stuff. Should I go with just strip lighting or go better.
I will try to get a shot of the tank. It got put into my shed until I figured out what I wanted to do with it.

If you are looking to keep Inverts then you need to make sure the tank has NEVER been treated with Copper

Yup, look at the silicone seals. If they are tinted blue-green kind of like the statue of liberty color then its been treated with copper. If they're a very very light translucent color with perhaps a hint of really light sky blue, thats OK. Most silicone seals look just a little blue, but if its been treated with copper, you'll see them really really blue

Thank you. I will look at it when I pull it out this week end. If it has been treated can I scrape off the old and reseal it?

Not without completely dismantling the tank down to it's 5 sheets of glass and removing all of the silicone.

What he said. If you do decide to do that and re-build it, use a strong alcohol solution to help loosen the seals. If you can find some 95% ethanol that'd be best sicne standard 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol isn't the best solvent for silicone. It'll work, just not as good as ethanol :)

If you use a dedicated silicone remover then make sure that you thoroughly clean the area with alcohol as well before applying the new silicone othewise the seals could give after time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back