Normal German Blue Ram Behaviour?

Aquatic_Az

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Weedon, Northamptonshire
Well since ive got my two german blue rams, one of them seems abit odd. Basically one of them is abit bigger and fatter than the other one and it has very distinct black markings over its eyes, body and front of dorsal fin and it keeps them very distinct all the time no matter what so far.

A picture of it:

DSC00644-1.jpg


Now the other one on the other hand is the strange one. It too sometimes has very distinct black markings over its eyes, body and front of dorsal fin, however sometimes it makes its markings completely disappear so it has no black on it, and then the next minute they'll be back again.

A picture of that one:

DSC00646-1.jpg


You can see the black markings however sometimes there completely gone!

Now is this a normal thing to happen and why does it happen? Also why does only one of them do it?

I was thinking maybe it was because their still fairly young, but I really dont know.
 
I would imagine and this is just a guess, that the markings disappearing is a sign of the second ram being sub dominant, the larger male is the stronger and therefore will display his full colours all the time.
 
I would imagine and this is just a guess, that the markings disappearing is a sign of the second ram being sub dominant, the larger male is the stronger and therefore will display his full colours all the time.

Yeah that does make sense, my mum thought this too, another thing is the bigger ram seems to claim the cave alot of the time when it wants to rest, so I guess this would show another sign of dominance. They get along with each other great, so far despite this, so I guess one will just have to get use to being less dominant :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top