Nitrite won’t go away

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently (2 days ago) made this jar aquarium because I kept seeing other people make jar aquariums and they looked pretty cool, and they never had filters or any of that because there plants would do the job of keeping all the nitrite and ammonia down, so I made my own and I made sure to put a lot of plants in the jar so I wouldn’t have to worry about the water quality… but I still have to worry about the water quality because my nitrites are sky high even known yesterday they were at 0. The plants in the tank are Java fern, Anubias, rotala indica and camboba. Plus the 4 shrimp I bought, how do I get rid of these nitrites?

Attachments

• 09B08D44-7E00-42E4-8C8A-B334EEF9F445.jpeg
    09B08D44-7E00-42E4-8C8A-B334EEF9F445.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 31
Get a bigger jar ? Even a jar has to cycle the plants are doing the best they can and keeping ammonia away but with life pooing in there there has to be some sort of effect in the nitrogen cycle, how big is the jar 0.5 gallon ?

Get a bigger jar ? Even a jar has to cycle the plants are doing the best they can and keeping ammonia away but with life pooing in there there has to be some sort of effect in the nitrogen cycle, how big is the jar 0.5 gallon ?
I’m not sure how many gallons it is but this is the measurements of it

Attachments

• E8C037F9-3993-452F-86D2-DAF638EB12DC.jpeg
    E8C037F9-3993-452F-86D2-DAF638EB12DC.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 28
Your right I think the presence of the shrimp are going to probably disturb the nitrogen cycle, I’m gonna move them to a different temporary tank

Your right I think the presence of the shrimp are going to probably disturb the nitrogen cycle, I’m gonna move them to a different temporary tank
Honestly even replacing the sand with established sand from a fish tank might be enough to help and being so small water changes are easy maybe see what happens ? I don’t know lol

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm hopeless on plant names but I think some of those in your jar are pretty slow growing, especially the anubias. (if I have the name right).
You really need plants with a good oxygenation rate as obviously they are growing quickly and using the waste as the nutition source.

Edit: we’ll turns out putting the shrimp in a established aquarium was not a good idea, for some reason the day after I added them in the nitrites spiked to 10.0 and killed a shrimp as well as my betta that I’ve had since November, I don’t know why the nitrites spiked if it was a cycled tank

Seems like the cycle has been killed. At least, to put it better, it seems that the tank has lost the beneficial bacteria needed to process the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates.
You should start all over on a fishless cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Back