Nitrate Spike

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

_]im

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

Well the last perameter I checked and I find where I am in my cycle, my nitrates are about 30mg/l im not sure what that is in ppm but its on the high end of the chart. What is the best way to treat this? water changes? If so how many and what quantity? I know its not as dangerous as ammonia or nitrite, but just the same I would like to finish the cycle off. I have some nautral plants in the tank as well, should this help? -_-

Thanks

Mg/l is the same as ppm. So a nitrate reading of 30 mg/l or ppm is perfectly fine and safe for fish. Depending on whom you listen too, there are a couple "schools" (ha ha, bad pun) of thought about nitrate levels. Some say 40 ppm is the cutoff, some say 60 ppm. I usually go about 50 ppm as I have seen about an equal number of arguments for 40 as I have 60. If you want to lower this water changes are a great way to do this (assuming your change water has no/low nitrates). Another way to remove nitrates is by adding live plants. Particularly faster growning plants, as they will remove nitrates faster than slower growning plants.

In short, you don't have any need to worry about this level of nitrates. But water changes or plants will both help. And plants are no reason to not do water changes. ;)

\Dan

Most reactions

Back