New To Forum - Slightly Concerned

petal040

New Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum - I joined after searching for info on a fish we have. Having read what info I could find, I am now a little concerned and would appreciate any advise.

We have a 175 litre Fluval tank which has been running over 6 months with all fish introduced within the first 2 or 3 months I think. It has plants in it (not rooted in the substrate but rooted onto a rock and piece of wood). Small gravel black substrate.

We moved house two weeks ago and had to empty the tank completely and transport the fish seperately in a bucket. Also had to replace all of the substrate (due to accident).

Before we moved, water conditions had started to fluctuate, with ammonia going up (not by lots, but a little) and nitrates going up (quite a lot). Since the move, things have been stable? (No cycle?).

First fish to move into the tank were 5 xray tetras.
Then we got snails, and were advised by the shop to get clown loaches. We got three.

Then we got horrible hairy algae and were advised to get a sucker - I asked the shop assistant (it seems to be a reputable shop - at this time we had no internet access and limited books in the library etc) how much they would grow, would the tank be big enough, would the suckers get on okay with our other fish etc. Shop assistant said yes - they stay small and just eat the algae, minding their own business.

We have had no deaths or illness yet. One of our loaches is very small though and has one cloudy eye. He has always been like that, since he joined the tank. The others have grown, but not him. He seems to be dominated by the others.

I really like the suckers. One has a yellow face. Now we have internet I looked him up and found that they are Chinese Algae Eaters, can grow to 12 inches and become more aggressive with age? I have noticed the yellow face one dominates the brown one (who is smaller).

Our fish shop does not accept returns/won't take or exchange fish.

I am worried that my fish are going to outgrow the tank - and/or that the algae eaters will become more aggressive? Just now, they do not suck or fight each other. The loaches lie on the yellow face, brush past him etc and he doesn't react. Yellow face and the two big loaches all hang out together in the skull, while cloudy eye and brown sucker stay hidden in the plants most of the time. The xrays just go about in the open space.

At feeding time, the two big loaches eat everything, leaving the suckers and cloudy eye to dig for scraps. The big loaches will eat until they are bloated (if given that much food). They chase the others away (apart from the tetras, who eat flake. The suckers and loaches don't eat the flake).

I am worried I have a bad mix of fish? Am I putting enough food in?

Thanks!

Thanks for your help
 
Can you post your water stats please in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Cloudy eye is a symtom of a desease not a desease in its own right.
Causes of cloudy eye.
Poor diet.
Stress.
Irration.
Old age.
Bad water quality.
Parasites.
Bacterial.


The loach that small is it a clown loach. Does it look on the thin side.

If the lfs sold you the the chinese algae eaters saying they would stay small then they didn't tell the truth, and should take them back.
 
Hi - last time I checked (which was a few days ago - we were planning a water change today but I will go check them again)... our stats were all at 0 (I thought because we had to do a 100% change when we moved house?)... I'll check again now and post what they are...

I think the cloudy eye may be due to injury. It hasn't changed in 6 months. No other symptoms (apart from failure to grow). It is definately a clown loach. All three came from the same tank when we bought them - they were all the same then. The others grew, but he stayed the same. He's not thin, just small.

I'll go get stats now...
 
Keep a look out for when the small clown loach goes to the toilet.

The cloudy eye shouldn't of stayed cloudy for 6 months.
Check to see if you can see any white specs inside the lens of the eye.

Does it sound like this.


Cataracts)
Symptoms:: White or gray material covering the eyes`only.

Treatment: In the process, special attention should be made to assure that ammonia and nitrite levels stay within accepted measures.

Information: Cataracts are fungal growths on the eyes. Treatment with any aquarium fungicide should work. Its probability increases with water rich in ammonia or nitrates.

Research the fish before you buy as not all lfs tell the truth.
 
Cycling may have started? Ammonia is now 1, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 2.5. I don't have a test for pH, have to go to the shop for that.

I don't think I've ever seen cloudy eye go to the toilet... there doesn't seem to be anything growing on the eye. If I look into it, inside it seems white - deeper inside the eye? I double checked his other eye and it is fine. I can't see any specs. I'll see if I can get a picture...
 
all you can do is water changes and increase aeration.
Cut down of feeding till the tanks cycled.

Are you using test strips cards or liquid test kits.
 
liquid test tube kits. I can get a picture, but can't put the picture on the computer cos I've lost the USB plug - d'oh!

We're doing a water change today. We'll do them regularly. I'll try cutting down on the food too.
 
Ok.
Keep a look out for when the small clown loach goes to the toilet.
I think clown loaches grow slowly.
 
I've been watching my fish very carefully yesterday and today, especially around feeding times, and haven't seen anyone going to the toilet. I don't think I've ever seen any of my fish doing a poo - and we watch them a lot - is it possible they only do it in the plants where we can't see??

Also - I'm still a little worried about the algae eater becoming aggressive and/or my fish outgrowing the tank. At the moment they seem fine.

In terms of growth rates - I'd say the two 'normal' loaches have doubled in size since we got them. Yellow face sucker has also about doubled. Brown sucker has maybe grown by 50%, small loach has stayed the same.
 
Feed some peas that will make them go to the toilet.
I would ring the lfs about the algae eaters as there in the wrong if they have been giving the wrong info out.

Can you post a pic of the small clown loach please.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top