New Tetra species, Moenkhausia cambacica described

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
We will all be dead by 2050 any way unless we have zero greenhouse gas emissions in the next couple of years. I don't expert the human race to make it and we will kill everything on the planet in the process. Prove me wrong humans.
I don't know about 2050... But yes, people are the cause of a lot of enviromental problems...

Wow, you're heavily pessistic !

Last edited:
Well, I don't consider myself pessimistic in this area. But look at the air pollution from industry and gas emissions from traffic. Land reclamation. Waste processing. And so on... All done by people throughout the years.
But don't worry... I'm not an actvist in this field. But I do realize that we have caused it ourselves. The comfort of our economy comes with a price... But we're so used to it that we don't realize what we're doing to the enviroment.

The discovery and describing of a new species of tetra is not anything particularly remarkable these days, as new species are being regularly discovered though it takes months for most to be described due to the numbers and "too few" ichthyologists. I'm posting this paper though because of (1) the pertinent observations made by the authors concerning this species, which for reasons outlined in the paper they recommend be declared "Near Threatened" on the IUCN's Red List of species, and (2) an interesting discussion on the developmental truncation of the lateral-line canals.

Marinho MMF, Ohara WM, and Dagosta FCP, "A new species of Moenkhausia (Characiformes: Characidae) from the rio Madeira basin, Brazil, with comments on the evolution and development of the trunk lateral line system in characids," Neotropical Ichthyology, 2021; 19(2):e200118.​

The sad fact that this species may never be seen in any of our aquaria reminds me of Sir David Attenborough's comment on how regrettable it is that so many species will become extinct before we have even discovered them.

The first link is to the article in the current edition of Amazonas, and the second to the scientific paper which has additional photos and a map.

Tetras are my favorite aquarium fish, thank you very much for the post and links, Byron.

Off topic, but I am wondering why the icon by the first link reads "This website is stealing content and bandwidth" (?)

Tetras are my favorite aquarium fish, thank you very much for the post and links, Byron.

Off topic, but I am wondering why the icon by the first link reads "This website is stealing content and bandwidth" (?)

You're welcome. Re the icon, I don't see any icons by the links in my initial post, so not sure as to what you may be referring.

You're welcome. Re the icon, I don't see any icons by the links in my initial post, so not sure as to what you may be referring.
Byron, see image below (you have to click on it)

Attachments

• Icon.jpg
    Icon.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 82
Byron, see image below (you have to click on it)

I assume you are referring to the black square with text on the left? I do not see this square at all in the link in my post, so not sure where it comes from.

I assume you are referring to the black square with text on the left? I do not see this square at all in the link in my post, so not sure where it comes from.
Yes, that's it...strange...may be a browser issue on my end...N/M

I don't see that message in the original post either, using Chrome right now. Which browser are you using?

I've looked with a couple of browsers (on a PC laptop) and the black square is there on one but not the other.

browser 1.jpgbrowser 2.jpg

Edit - tried a third and it's not on there either.

Firefox is the one it shows on.

Last edited:
Yes.

The second is Vivaldi and the third one I looked at was MS Edge

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back