New Tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

noobfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Where does everyone get their tanks? Specifically in the US. I'm trying to get a plan/budget together for another tank, hopefully in the 75-150 gallon range, but can't really find good sources. Seems to be the standard 75g at big box pet stores for a couple hundred or giants at the lfs for 4-5 thousand. Not finding much in between.

Watch Craigslist. Stuff pops up frequently. I got a 65 gallon complete set up with a handmade stand for 150. The lady had neck surgery and just couldn't physically maintain it any more.

Yep. Craigslist. And Patience. Weekly browsing weighing the value of driving to get it and does it seem legit.
I found a 100g for $90. Store owner was shutting down shop. But it was too big.
Lots of options for $150ish.
I ended up with a set of 55g with a 10g, decor, sponge filter and heater al for $80. It took me a few weeks of browsing. I'm pretty sure I've spent more on accessories and plants and maybe fish.. Lol
Just be careful with the add-on deals. The set came with a waterfall filter and lights but they didn't work. The tanks alone were worth it to me though.
I've gotten local decorations and plants too and gotten to know some neighbors. Haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_095746328.jpg
    IMG_20210728_095746328.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 38
Watch Craigslist. Stuff pops up frequently. I got a 65 gallon complete set up with a handmade stand for 150. The lady had neck surgery and just couldn't physically maintain it any more.
Yep. Craigslist. And Patience. Weekly browsing weighing the value of driving to get it and does it seem legit.
I found a 100g for $90. Store owner was shutting down shop. But it was too big.
Lots of options for $150ish.
I ended up with a set of 55g with a 10g, decor, sponge filter and heater al for $80. It took me a few weeks of browsing. I'm pretty sure I've spent more on accessories and plants and maybe fish.. Lol
Just be careful with the add-on deals. The set came with a waterfall filter and lights but they didn't work. The tanks alone were worth it to me though.
I've gotten local decorations and plants too and gotten to know some neighbors. Haha.
Ending up with a leaking tank worries me. Maybe I'm not trusting enough, but paying someone I've never met on their word that it is a sound tank makes me uneasy.

My other problem is the LFS. After seeing the custom tanks standard sizes aren't doing it for me. I like the look of a 125-150 that's more than just 20" front to back. I'm in no hurry, don't plan to make any moves until after the first of the year. My goal is to have it planted and stocked by this time next year.

Petco has their 75 gallon tank half off for $115 I think right now. I agree just watching Craigslist in your area can be a great way to find a good deal, Facebook Marketplace as well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back