New Tank Advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You don't need a 3D background. Just use some black card or a black picture on the back to make the fish and plants contrast.
Although I have to admit my choice of investment in a 3D moulded background was a good one. I like the look and it grows algae and provides another surface for bacteria and other microorganisms.

Not sure what the situation is in your neck of the woods, but Neons tend to be quite weedy and wishy-washy around me*, whereas the Cardinals all look bright and basically Good Fish. I notice that their price has dropped significantly and they are now comparable to the Neons, cost-wise.

*Evidence, perhaps, of the results of Neon Tetra disease, back at the fishfarms.
Cardinals everyday of the week, I would never recommend Neons to anyone. They are like chalk and cheese.

Thanks for all of the advice.
I think I will be going for:

Stock:
Neon tetras or cardinals
Cherry shrimp
Corys (Undecided on which)

Plants:
Anubias
Java Fern
Crypto Wendtii
Java Moss

Tank:
240l juwel rio
Bogwood
Stone of some sort
Sand substrate

If I pick neons I believe they need a more densely planted tank whereas cardinals need more open space?

Also any advice on corys? I like the look of panda cories, is there much difference in behaviour of different cories. I was thinking maybe have some panda cories and some pygmy cories?
I'm also wondering about how the fish will occupy different areas of the tank.

Thanks

Personally I would wait a few months before adding shrimp, they tend to prefer a more matured aquarium of at least 6 months from cycle completion.

Ah ok thats something i havent thought aabout what order to add fish. Its gonna be a few months before i actually set the tank up anyway

I agree that shrimp enjoy a mature aquarium, but I have four tanks with shrimp and each time I added shrimp immediately after cycling and they have done just fine. Didn't lose any from what I could tell and the populations are all thriving. One small tip on picking colors. I put Blue Velvet shrimp in my Neon Tetra tank because blue velvet are my favorite, but I wish I had added a different color, maybe red or yellow to contrast with the neons. Right now it's a lot of blue in my tank, which I do like but think through the colors you want.

If I pick neons I believe they need a more densely planted tank whereas cardinals need more open space?

No, most South American forest fish require basically the same aquascaping although there are species that will swim more actively than others. Paracheirodon innesi (neon) and P. axelrodi (cardinal) are much the same with respect to activity level, as well as dim light, and soft and acidic water. You can do a biotope-type tank, replicating the habitat closely (sand, chunks of wood, branches, dried leaves on the sand, floating plants (no lower plants). Or also authentic, more of a flooded forest habitat, much the same but here more plants that are rooted in the substrate.

These two fish do have a bit of a temperature difference. Neons are cooler water, whereas cardinals prefer it a bit warmer.

Also any advice on corys? I like the look of panda cories, is there much difference in behaviour of different cories. I was thinking maybe have some panda cories and some pygmy cories?

All species in Corydoras have the same requirements, behaviours, etc. The pygmy cory (Corydoras pygmaeus) does spend much more time off the substrate however, often swimming with other small fish like Ember Tetras, etc. All cories will browse surfaces including wood and plant leaves, including floating plants especially if they have well-developed root systems.

The pygmy cory is best not in with larger species, more from an aesthetic aspect. They tend to get "lost" in with larger fish. And in long tanks like this one (Jewel 240 which I believe is 120cm length) the pygmies can indeed get lost.

I'm also wondering about how the fish will occupy different areas of the tank.

This is an important aspect. Finding fish for the upper/surface level is the most challenging. And there are many species that will tend to remain in the lower half.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back