New Fry At Last

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Apparently so but I wouldn't recommend pulling them out of your garden. For the simple fact that you could introduce bacteria into your tank and cause problems healthwise. I only feed live food I get from fish stores.
Queenie is fine thank you. :D BB has an enormous nest now at the opposite end of the tank to his usual place, much to the annoyance of Spot, who'd recently nicked that space from Nursey.
Currently it looks like Blue, my youngest girl is finally carrying eggs but has yet to be enticed into spawning. It's her that I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the fry from as she is a very pale blue (Think pale sky blue) and with BB and his tiger look the fry could be an interesting bunch.
I suspect, although I could be wrong, the reason your gouramies aren't breeding in the main tank is because of the ratio problem and how much plantlife is in the tank. As you have seen from mine it really is very heavily planted. There is only BB as male and the ladies. The only other inhabitants are a pair of young bristlenose and a single oto. And a fair amount of fry I still have failed to catch. :*)
So it really is set up pretty much as their ideal enviroment.
Having so many males to half the amount of females really isn't their ideal setup. And tbh, if they did decide to breed in your main tank chances are the males would suddenly become highly aggressive and several could lose their lives. The females would be stressed beyond belief from so many of them too. In short you'd have pandemonium.
Hugs,
P.

would feeding them Mosquito larvae be okay if i put some water out side in some thing clean and then waited for the Mosquito larvae to come there its just the fish shop thats near me dose not sell live food or frozen and that makes me feel like there missing out :unsure: oh and i was thinking about the main tank befor cuz im glad there not breeding in there and i want to keep it that way cuz i dont like them attacking each other but i may add one or 2 more later and im hopeing things wont change...............as for plant the fish shop sucks with them as well so i cant get many and when i buy a few after a few days there ether dieing or dead cuz the gouramis attack them like chain saws ........oh and i did not pick the gouramis by male and female i only no what they are from this site now .............i was suprised when i saw fry in the breeding tank cuz the nest was not what i thort one would look like if it was ready cuz what i thort it would be is a larg clump of bubbles in a corner or nice and thick but what thort was just him being confused must have worked for him cuz frys are there what he did was spread a realy thin layer of bubbles over the hole surfus of the tank just about and when i say thin i mean like only one bubble side by side no bubbles on each other......................in the main tank the males dont evan blow one bubble its like they dont see the females as females in there and there for could not care if they impress them or not :huh:

Maybe they don't hon. :dunno: Fish eh. So unpredictable. I am lucky in being able to get hold of pretty much any fresh water plant going. I expected them to rip them up too but they never did. They nibble/pick at them sometimes but it barely makes a dent seeing as how I have to go in there and uproot something weekly now. :lol: Bubblenest wise BB's nest are huge and incredibly well built. They become thick, right out of the water and cover an area pretty big. The entire tank width front to back is covered and is about the same length wise so that'd be 12 by 12 inches at a guess. :S He does work on it constantly and has gotten better each time he starts one afresh. They can withstand water changes without significant damage too. He only destroys them once a spawning has taken place and the fry are leaving the nest. Then he concentrates solely on the fry and the bubbles are ignored. Once they leave entirely he gets rid of any remaining bits, leaves it for a few days then starts afresh.
TBH I was as ignorant about what gouramies got up to and how before I had first hand experience and I certainly hadn't expected it at the time. The only reason I got 1 male to 3 female when I got them was because I'd been told it was the best ratio to have. Having read up I realised this was true. Sadly one of the girls developed a kinked spine and I thought she was a goner, assuming it to be tb and moved her out to a small tank in my room where she spent 2 weeks in a breeders net. After this time she became alot stronger and happier and I let her out into the tank where she now lives with other community fish in a 15g. Being that it seems to be a genetic defect and not tb I won't allow her back into the gourami tank to breed or to be picked on. I now have 2 other females with the other 2 girls and they're just reaching breeding point now.
In regards to mosquito larvae.....I really don't know. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it was the only option for live food but it's not something I would personally do. Have you tried doing a culture of brine shrimp? It's apparently very easy and straight forward. And that way you won't be risking any introduction of nasty bacteria. :thumbs:
Hugs,
P.

i would like to give them brine shrimp but again no place has them .............realy if im going to get live food the only place to get it is out side in the wild ................thanks for the info ....i dont spose any one nos why i now have some red snails there bright red and i bleave they are eggs that hatched from yellow one ?oh and do three spots grew as big as moonlights ? cuz i seem to rember reading that 3 spots are a big typ not as big as the Giant gourami of corse but i did hear apparently the 3 spots were round the big size?

Three-spots get to 6". females usualy stay slightly smaller than males (as is the case with most gouramies).
Moonlights get to 7" and are a completely seperate species (they are also somewhat more peaceful than three-spots).
Giant gouramies are an entirely different matter. The 'true' giant gourami can get to almost 30"! There's also a smaller fish that is sometimes called the 'giant' or 'banded' or 'indian' gourami but that only gets to 4".

I wonder why the indian gourami get called giants. Seems a very odd thing to do since they're actually rather small by gourami reckoning. :dunno: Do the young look very much like the true giants? I'm not convinced they do having seen some adult giants (well, around 20 inches they were) but not having seen the young I can't really say.
Hugs,
P.

Actualy, I know the answer to that one :)
They are called 'giant' gouramies because they are the largest in their genus (colisa). It's actualy one of the more logical common names :p
As for looking like osphronemus, I wouldn't say so. Considering some of the common names people have up with though, I wouldn't be too surprised if that were the case lol

Ahhhhh well there's something new I learnt today then. :lol: Logical in that sense but when there are so many of the gourami specie around, even though of a different genus, that get a great deal larger.....not all that logical. Meh.
As for the similarities, I have to agree. I doubt they do look alike when young. They look so vastly different as adults and not just because of the size. But then there are a great many rather thick people in the fish world. As has been prooved by the mistranslation of the bettas more common name in English. :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, it's the same in any line of expertise. Not that I'm an expert on fish by a long shot! I certainly saw plenty of stupidity with horses and that from people who should have known better. :X
Hugs,
P.

wow im suprised there were 4 post from that one topic thats a record for most of my qestions :D
oh and u both seem to be like experts on gouramis and sylvia reminds me of a professor with all the scientific names for them :lol: ........the little fry i have are grewing fast im realy intrested to see the color cuz i am hopeing that the male got together with the female gold but i think theres more chance its the full adult wild brown color female cuz shes an easy girl :p sad to say it means that there probly all going to be brown again unless the male mated with 2 females? and theres 2 sorts of fry swimming rownd is that posible

:no: off topic arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr my dads shop was broken in to last night and a gun and bullets and fishing stuff were stolen and they smashed a window and broke up a door :crazy: :shifty:

:) hi all im in perth :( missing my fish there home alone only going to be able too eat one meal tommorow cuz im in perth and my friend is only droping by once ............they will be upset cuz i feed them about 4 times a day most of the time hope to hear from all :hyper:

Perth eh. Nice. :)
4 times a day? :crazy: My fish would all burst from overfeeding if I did that. Right now they're sulking cos I won't feed them until tonight. They all had a feast of live foods last night so they really don't need it.
Hugs,
P.

yesss my fish are pigs when ever im near the tank they want food and now they have been geting lots of food for a long time now there bodys are okay with it they evan grew faster ......there is one yellow fin ell that gets a bit sick from too much food but i think its more some thing wrong with the inside of his guts ......genetic ................................... :D :hyper: B) hope to see the fish soon again :wub: hows every ones fish doing.................................it would be funny see fish blow up like in cartoons :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back