New Fish Food

Marine/Freshwater?

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 22, 2007
Messages
240
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I was bored so I decided to vary my moray's diet. I used silversides, cocktail shrimp, seaweed, and sun dried river shrimp to make my own food. The ratio of the mixture for Gymnothorax species should be around 60% silversides, 25% cocktail shrimp, 5% seaweed, 10% "shrimp dust". The ratio of the mixture for Echidna species should be around 15% silversides, 70% cocktail shrimp, 5% seaweed, 10% "shrimp dust". Crab meat woul also work for Echidna species as well.

Heres how I did it:
1. I finely diced silversides, cocktail shrimp, and put it into a ziplock bag.
2. Then in another ziplock bag I put a little bit of sundried river shrimp and crunched it into dry powder.(Used this as a binding agent.)
3. I then put a sheet of seaweed in boiling water for 1 min to soften it, then i put it in tupperware and shook it to break it up.
4.I then strained the seaweed out and mixed it into the bag containing the silverside and cocktail shrimp.
5. I did my best to drain as much liquid from the mix as possible this is very important.
6. Finally i sprinkeled the shrimp dust into the mix to make it more rigid.
If you want you can shape the food however you feel is best. I used a textbok to flatten the "food paste" Once you freeze the food it solidfies. Even when thawed it holds together well enough for my moray to get it. This stuff is great for a brackish comunity tank. Warning for morays don't use to much seaweed!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top