New Filter Media For Tropical Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right location for this post, but I just wanted to clarify something. I've set up my 420 litre aquarium at the weekend, it has everything bar the lighting setup. As I spent so much on the filters, heaters and tank itself I've not the finances to get the lights, along with sorting out the planting etc.

The tank is destined to become a Tropical community tank, but as it could be some time before I can get it to that stage, I am considering putting a few goldfish in the tank once it has cycled. My question mainly is this;

Will the bacteria set up within a heated (25 degrees celsuis) aquarium on a fishless cycle survive the temperature drop to coldwater? Also, will the fish waste from coldwater inhabitants be dangerous once they're removed and it is converted into the Tropical tank? (I would fully clean the media using water from my small tropical tank setup)

Thankyou for any help and sorry if this is a misplaced topic :crazy:

The bacteria will process ammonia more slowly at colder temperatures, so this will mean there will have to be more bacteria to handle the smae amount of fish at a lower water temp.

-FHM

The bacteria will process ammonia more slowly at colder temperatures, so this will mean there will have to be more bacteria to handle the smae amount of fish at a lower water temp.

-FHM

This. In fact a lot of fancy goldfish keepers heat their tanks for this reason... to make the bacteria work faster. For commons, probably not the best idea since they are considerably more active and consume more oxxygen (which is present in smaller amounts as temperature increases) but yeah... I have my fancy tank heated to 74 and everyone's happy, biofilter included!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back