New Boarlike Animal Found In Amazon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
"November 5, 2007—A huge, undiscovered animal lurking in the Amazon rain forest? When pigs fly, you might say.

But recently, Dutch biologist Marc van Roosmalen spotted a new species of peccary—a type of large wild pig—in the Rio Aripuanã region of southeastern Brazil.

The newly christened giant peccary shares few similarities with its two relatives, the white-lipped and collared peccaries, both found in the same area.

For one thing, the new peccary doesn't eat like a pig—instead of snuffling on the ground for seeds and roots, it munches on fruits that grow in dry, wooded areas";

Full Story;

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...ry-picture.html

Pretty cool, huh? Makes one wonder how many more animals are out there waiting to be discovered. More emphasis needs to be put on preserving the Amazon and planting back tracts of lost forest though, we just aren't doing enough, it is very true that ""With the current rate of habitat destruction in the Amazon, many creatures not yet scientifically described could go extinct without even knowing,".

Ummmm.....

linky no worky

I see a link to the fire barrel carrying in Devon...and im sure some giant pigs were involved, but I dont think they eat fruit from the the woodland canopy.. :D

Ummmm.....

linky no worky

I see a link to the fire barrel carrying in Devon...and im sure some giant pigs were involved, but I dont think they eat fruit from the the woodland canopy.. :D

Ah i appologise, link will be fixed in just a second.

edit: There we go- the right national geographic news link is there now :) .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back