New Betta Rescue

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jade107

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah...Its pink...I bought it like, three years ago. Just found it in the garage. I totally cleaned it out and stuff. Went to Pet supermarket and. well. I ended up with this guy. Turned down a big red crowntail witha really pretty metallic green on his fins. Just couldn't bear to leave this guy all torn up in a tiny cup full of brown water. He's got some Micro Sword and a moss ball in with him :) I have been using Melafix to repair his fins. Also, do you think the Melafix killed the shrimp? I had 2 ghost shrimp in with him. :huh:

Sorry the dates are all screwed up on my camera :crazy:

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

bettafish2.jpg

Bettafish-1.jpg

Be careful with the melafix - bettas don't handle it too well, i've learned the hard way. Try to lessen the dose if you want to carry on using it.

Might have killed the shrimp, but not sure as never used it with them in a tank. Also, have you increased aeration in the tank? melafix is bad for oxygen levels methinks

Be VERY careful with Melafix and bettas. If you can't use something else and if you need it, use a half dose (ideally less). Evidence points to it messing with their labyrinth organ and killing them. Eeek!

I think bettafix is safer. It's a washed down Melafix.

And I also think Pimafix contains clove oil, which is used to euthanize fish. It's probably at a safe dose, but just the thought is enough to drive me off.

Good luck with getting him better. I think he'll be very pretty once he's well.

I wouldnt use anything, i think the finns will repair themselves, and good clean water was good advice, the thing is you dont want him to get an infection, so keep his tank really clean, good healthy food is the main thing, and as unstressed as poss. di

Bettafix works out at the same concentration in the aquarium water as Melafix. It's less concentrated in the bottle to make dosing in small volumes of water easier to do, but otherwise the same.

Pimafix contains only West Indian Bay (Pimenta racemosa) oil, no clove oil. West Indian Bay does contain a similar substance to cloves - they both naturally contain eugenol - but the amount of eugenol in Pimafix is quite small.

Thanks :) I'll keep his water very clean for now, and if he's not doing much better, maybe I'll pick something up at petco :] Keep you updated on his progress :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back