Net Dipping

Rex740

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
907
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Florida
I can't find any information about Net Dipping. Anyone have some?
 
I know FAMA has a section on dipnetting, might want to start there possibly. I know one article had explained all different techniques for using a dip net properly.
 
Well its more of a section in the magazine called the Dip Netter. He will talk about good places to look for fish, what he finds, and occasionally techniques on dip netting.



You might want to go down to a local bait/fishing shop and take a look at some nets. Make sure they don't harm the fish. I think the guy who does the section in the magazine uses the butterfly nets (or what ever there called.) Technique might just be trial and error.

You are in Florida, so there should be lots of little places to go take a look and see what you can find.
 
I heard I might need a license though. And I am not sure if I want to do it alone, I mean, how do I know what fish to keep and stuff like that? I think I found a group that Dip net sometimes. I'm going to ask them when I go to their fish expo in April.
 
I heard I might need a license though. And I am not sure if I want to do it alone, I mean, how do I know what fish to keep and stuff like that? I think I found a group that Dip net sometimes. I'm going to ask them when I go to their fish expo in April.

I think it depends which state you are net dipping in, not sure if Florida would be one you need a license in or not. As for fish to keep, that is entirely up to you and what kind of set up you have. Anything that is allowed to be kept is fair game ;) (Mollies, Guppies, Flag fish, Oscars, Pleco, ect.)



Good luck with the group and if you do decide to try it one of these days make sure you post pictures with what you find! I think dip netting is pretty interesting!
 
If I do go dip netting (which will be atleast a month and a half from now, probably longer), I will post pics and information. I'll probably post it in this section of the forum.

As for the fish, I looked on the groups website and read what they have found before. The articles I read were from 2005 though. They had found ( 4 years ago) many cichlids. They said they are numerous here and they have found Black Acaras, Tilapia cichlids, Salvini, and Mayan cichlids. They have also found grass shrimp, crayfish, blue topfin killifish, golden eye killifish, mollies, and Eastern Sand Darters.
 
Basically, you get a long handled net and catch fish with it. It is commonly used to catch salmon and other similar fish in the certain areas (like Alaska), but you can also do it for smaller fish. Some aquarium fish that you see in pet stores are caught this way such as Otocinclus. I am in Florida so I have many lakes and canals that contain various fish from killifish to bass.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top