neons or cardials?

In my experience neons and cardinals are difficult fish to keep long term. They seem to be quite delicate and will go off and die without any notice. Nonetheless they are very nice to look at when kept in a sizable group. Good luck!

glad to see you made your mind up, good luck with your new fish!

thx!!!!!! im into it now big time, think im gonna get a 30 gal long today wil see...i wana do this one like a river bed stream look....maybe try my hand at live plants, my ph is highest here so i have to select accordingly, i dont wanna mess with my ph..but been researhing + see the plants tha tthrive in this type of water...ITS AL GOOD!!!!!!

EVERYONE has been really cool here thx a ton!!!!!! :cool: :kana:

I feed all my fishes a variety, like fish flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, spirulina flakes (supposed to enhance color), frozen daphnia, tetra bits, frozen peas (thawed and skinned, which helps clear the fishes digestive system), and zuchini (blanched so it will sink).

Cardinals are a great choice, I hope the next batch does well for you. I usually acclimate for 30 minutes minimum. but usually 45 mins is what it takes. I have a coffee cup I keep just for the purpose. i also have one of those hanging cups you see the stores use to catch the fish. Usually i buy one or 2 at a time and then pour the fish and the water into the cup (after floating the bag for 20 minutes, then putting the fish and water into the hang on cup) I then take a little water every 5 minutes to put some of my tank water into the hang on cup, i do this until the cup is full. then I dip the fish into the tank. I always check the PH of the LFS water when I get home. And if the PH is a great difference I tank longer in acclimating. If the PH is the same or very close I don't add as much of my tank water to the bag or cup.... I usually also add a few drops of stress coat. :thumbs:
I hope this helps :D

i lost another cardimnal today :no: :flex: now i have 6 4 of um stil swim around but the 3 (one died yesterday) hide + only come out to eat hope i make it my amonia remains clear im at 4 weeks now w/fish...il get another 5 this week end if these make it...6 cards left!!!!

Cardinal tetras definately, they live longer (up to 12 years or so) and don't get neon tetra disease!

WELL I HAVE HAD THE cards for about a month now. lost 5 right away the other 5 are growinggggggg + doing well, no one is bugin um anymore either i love these fish + i have high ph darkest blue but the y seem to be ok they wer like 5/8" when i got um now there all lil over an inch..and man are they pigs they are realy fun to watch eat, being a big fisherman i love to watch the *HIT* very qucik on the feed..think il get about 15 of these for the 55 gallon im seting up, the ygo god with the 8 glow lites too........but there hard to find......i get mine for 1.49 ea..nice lil shoalers luv um!!! :flex: :kana: :cool:

How do you tell the difference between neons and cardinals???

The fish i have now were sold under the neon tetra name, but how can i be sure??

Oh and they do school well with glow-lite tetras

actually i meant the color isnt as full, silver under the belly where as cards are all color.....check um out on the link u wil se what i mean lol..itslate lol i was at a bbq all day..too many pops!!!! nite!!!!

i'm not sure but i think people over react from a one off incedent or hear say.

Brand new tank added 14 neon's 3 weeks later still have 13

Not sure but i think that would make them pretty hardy fish.

the one i lost looked a bit sick when i put them in

so if they could make it through a cycle they could make it through anything

MY moto is try if it doesn't work try something else not over react and pull my skirt over my head.

Good luck. What ever you go will look awesome

Most reactions

Back