Neolamprologus Brichardi Female Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

One_Trick_Pony

Steals the show
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a breeding pair of Neolamprologus brichardi, i also have a spare 30gl tank,

now what i am thinking of doing as keeping a number of the Femal offspring in this 30g tnak as a bit of a show tnak, no males to avoid inbreeding and hopfully much of the aggrssion that coems with a bredding pair.

is this a viable paln or not, is the tank too small? would aggression still be a major problem,?

If this ideais fisable, what kind of numebrs are we talking to make a stirking but not overstocked disply?

Thanks
OTP

Out of your fry, how would you know which are females and which are males?

Unfortunately, there is no way of sexing brichardis, maybe when they get older the males tend to be a little bigger.

well ok, guess that one pal out of the water tehn...guess i will have to give them away,

Unfortunately, there is no way of sexing brichardis, maybe when they get older the males tend to be a little bigger.

It is said that the male of the species has longer Caudal, anal and dorsal fins - with slightly elongated white trails at the tips - HOWEVER - my breeding pair are the total opposite - the fish with the longer fins and slightly smaller is the one whom does all the digging under the bogwood and spends much of her time tending the eggs which are laid regularly every 3 weeks (clearly the female) - the male who is slightly larger but equally agressive towards my other Tang inmates but doesnt have the longer fins, spends his "off watch" periods in the rocks built up at the back corner - both of whom defend their area vigorously - I have 3 generations of fry, all of whom share the parenting of the newly hatched fry - I manage to raise approx 3 per brood to a decent size from what is usually a hatching of approx 25 fry. At this rate I will quickly become over-run with Brichardi so it is my intention to leave the Brichardi's alone to their own devices and set up another Tang tank for the others to move into in peace!!!!

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back