Need species recommendation

cjhearsu

Reaction score
I have a heavily planted 30 gallon hex. It's all cycled and ammonia=0, nitrites=0. My first fish are 2 angels, 3 otos and 3 cory cats. Plants are growing like crazy with Carib Sea's Eco Complete substrate and DIY CO2 injection. Now I want to add a species of schooling fish, preferably hardier ones. I like the glow light tetras, but am afraid that the angel fish will, at worst, kill or stress them to death, or, at best, keep them hiding in the heavy plants all the time so I won't see much of them. I've read about Serpae tetras, and they should be able to hold their own against the angels, but might get agressive to other fish, like swordtails I hope to add. I'd appreciate any recommendations on small, colorful schooling fish (want to keep a school of 6 or 7) that will cohabitate with the angels and still entertain me. My water is very hard and pH is fairly high, 7.6 or so with the CO2 injection.

I agree with the suggestion made by bol. the harlequin is a great schooling fish and in numbers 8 or better is quite an attractive display. I have had angels with many types of tetras, glowlights included and as long as they are not breeding or overly hungry(went on short notice trip and lost 4 baby neons but had fat angels when i returned :huh: ) they have not gone after any of them. It sounds like any fish chased by the angels will have lots of hiding places anyway.

Harlequin Rasbora: Agreed. They're a great fish. I have some in my community tank. They school very well and thrive in the same conditions that angels do.

If you would like to stick with South American fish, take a look at: Red-eyed, Rummy Nose, Cardinal, or Flame Tetra. They get a little bigger than Neons, so should be safer in community with the angels.

Harlequins are good and so are Cardinals tetras. I have around 30 Cardinals and 10 Harlequins. I also have 3 Marbled Angels. They live quite happily together.

Another concurence:) I have a Harlequin and he's quite hardy (used to have 3, but my Buenos Aires Tetras killed two before I realised how agressive they were and moved the last Harlequin out of the tank). I think the Serpae Tetras are prettier than the Harlequin, and they school almost as well, but they are deffinately more agressive. They nip a lot, but if you look at my second 10 gallon tank, I've got them with some pretty peaceful fish and it's not a problem. Harlequins look like a tiny colorful tuna, if that means anything. Very streamlined sharp shape. The Serpaes are meatier with more colorful fins. Either would be fine, but I would go with the Serpae!

Good luck!!

Most reactions

Back