Need Help With Warm Se Asia Biotope

BangkokFishTank

New Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello,

I've been reading some posts on this site and decided to join myself because I have not been able to find an answer to my question. Seems like a good forum to join and I am excited about my new hobby.

Question: I just moved to Bangkok and left all my old hobbies back in the US. So, I decided to buy an aquarium. I have had one fish tank in the past an african lake biotope. I still consider myself fairly new to this hobby. It is quite hot here in Bangkok. My water temperature is quite high, about 84-86F. The pH is around 7.4 I can change this, but I cannot change the water temp (unless there is that I don't know about). I would rather just keep the water 84-86 just to keep it easy. It is a 125L tank 33 gallons. I was wondering what fish and plants you would suggest putting into my biotope. I would like one or two types of schoaling fish, a few loach type fish (like a clown loach), and two individuals of a larger species (5 inches). I can find just about any species here at the market. Please keep in mind I want this to be a SE asia biotope :)

Thanks for you help in advance!

-Matt
 
You have a lot of options actually, since there are so many Southeast Asian fish in the hobby.

Gouramis as the "centerpeice." Personally, I'd rather have a small species like the pygmy, but that's just me.

One or two shoals of cyprinids. You have a lot of possibilities here - barbs, like the tiger, some of the Southeast Asian danios (I believe the pearl danio is native to Thailand), or some of the many Raspboras. Personallly, I think a larger group of Boraras would look great - but then you have to make sure your other stock is small.

For the bottom, you have a few possibilities. Kuhlis will look great, particularly if you have sand for the bottom. If you want something like clown loaches, however, consider a group of dwarf chain loaches. They top out at two inches, but otherwise look (minus color) and act pretty much the same as clown loaches.
 
But what about the temperature? The tank has been cycling for 2 days now and is at 84F or 29.7C. Can this temperature support the loach, gourami, danio, rasbora, and barbs?

Thanks for the responses.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top