Need Help ? Unsure Identify Of Fish

Tu6dolce

Reaction score
Hi Everyone ,
I am new to the forum and excited to be amongst enthusiasts like myself.  I own a 55 gall community tank with Silver dollars, Rams, Tetras , Geos , etc ...
Yesterday I bought a yellow fish at the local fish store and they were uncertain of its identify told me it was called " RED ...something " but obviously not being red and a bright yellow I dont think they knew what they were talking about . I just want to make certain he is going to stay healthy in my current water settings .  He is adorable and I also want to buy a mate but need to know what kind of fish is he?  Any help is appreciated

THANKS  HAVE A GREAT FISHY DAY!!!!

WENDY

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 160
It looks to me to be some sort of cichlid, but thats not my area of expertise.  

I agree with eagles. It looks like an African cichlid which will probably eat most of your stock as it get bigger. I'm not positive though. I could be completely wrong.

Oh wow ...for a small fish he definitely has a personality running after silver dollars 3 x his size

They called it a red "artemide " or something like that

Looks like an mbuna to me... Or maybe a ca cichlid that can kill your stocks

I'm moving this to Old World Cichlids as you may get a better ID from the folks that frequent that forum.

THanks for everyones help
I think i found it ,,,,after looking at cichlids yellow with red dots

Etroplus maculatus (orange chromide)

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 151
It needs brackish water to full thrive... Learn more in the brackish forum.

Was just going to say an orange chromide. Turns into a nice little fish when grown up. Only gets to a about 3 inch, I wouldnt worry about your stock., cheers

do a google search for Nmonks brackish FAQs and you should find a good Brackish fish care guide

iliveinazoo said:
do a google search for Nmonks brackish FAQs and you should find a good Brackish fish care guide

Neale is indeed the guru of brackish fish.

Last time I encountered his FAQ it was here, it seems to have moved around at least once in the last few years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back