Need An Id

invader

I'm a girl.
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
2,104
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Orlando, FL, USA
Well, this doesn't happen to me often, but there is a fish that I don't have any idea what it is. The pics aren't the best, but I wanted to photograph it while it was still in the bag, just in case it was skittish in the quarantine tank.

Good luck with the IDing. It didn't even have a tag. I think it might be a local species, because I've seen one in a feeder shrimp tank before and sometimes native fish get into those. Who knows, though.

Full body shot:
DSC01135.jpg


It has a upturned mouth.
DSC01141.jpg


Tail shot.
DSC01138.jpg
 
Looks more like a livebearer... a gumbusia or similar. Can you get a pic of its anal fin?

Nim
The anal fin is shown in the tail pic.

That's what I thought too... It doesn't have a gonopodium, if that is what you are looking for, and it's also larger than the usual livebearer (about 5").
 
Jeez, that sounds a bit too big for the gambusia. Sorry I missed the picture and you are right it does not have a gonopodium...

Sorry I am at a loss here :S

Nim
 
They look very like a North American native...... Fundulus species (killifish)....I cant be sure though until you get them out of the bag, settled and show their normal colouration.
Post some more pics when settled in
Regards
BigC
 

Most reactions

Back
Top