Need Advise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nano

Reaction score
i've always been rather interested in marine ... and i've actually done alot of research on it as well (a while bak)

but here's where i need advise

im going to be going to college in 2 years
so if i start a marine setup (30 or 55 gallon) ill want it to be with live rock corals etc. -- get the most out of it
but the negative is ill be gone in 2 years ... will i be able to take care of a marine tank in college
or if i leave it home will my parents be able to take care of the marine tank (they like aquariums, and on the occasion help me clean FW tanks)

or

i was planning to go oddball FW tank -- 120 gallon
and leave the tank at home when i go to college. Im fairly certain that my parents should be able to take care, and anyways ill be visiting every other weekend or so.

I mean if i have to i can go a 15 gallon, but from i've read the smaller the tank the harder ... thus i opt for 55.

So which 1?

Well, most colleges will let you have up to 20g tanks which while not all that big, is certainly enough to thoroughly catch the marine bug. Tis true that nano tanks are more difficult to keep stable but part of that depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. If we're only talking a simple tank with some corals and softies/zoos, a 20g is a great starter tank. However if we're talkin some high-tech mini acropora garden, that's gonna be miserable... The same obviously also applies if you were to leave a tank in the care of your parents. Simpler setups are easy to care for, but when you start choosing difficult livestock you may out-build the desire and ability of your parents to care for them.

Wish I could really offer better advice, but it's a decision you'll have to make with your parents.

I would say go with a very simple saltwater tank or a medium tech freshwater.

If we're only talking a simple tank with some corals and softies/zoos, a 20g is a great starter tank. However if we're talkin some high-tech mini acropora garden, that's gonna be miserable...

ya, because its my first time i dont want to get into anything complicated until maybe later.
just as an estimate (i know this can vary) how much would the initial set-up range to?? including live rock, filtarition, sump etc.

ill definitely have to discuss this with my parents ...
a 20g marine seems like a good idea
but so does a 120 oddball FW

ill get bak on this l8r.

Well if you buy everything hardware wise for a sump the cost is gonna get MIGHTY expensive quick. Building it yourself is much cheaper.

If you go sumpless and don't have any old useful hardware layin around, you're prolly talkin ~$400 when all is said and done.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back