Nano

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jkrekord

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello
Although i have a lot of experience with freshwater fish i have virtually none with marine. I have been working at an LFS 2 days a week on college work placement, and its been great. I am now considering switching my 100 litre tank to a marine nano. This will only happen if i get a paid job at the LFS where im working. I would like to run my tank without a proper filter and use just liver rock and a skimmer. Also i shall change the current juwel hood and get new lighting, i cant remember the name but its silver and hangs over the tank, not the best description going i know lol.
The tank must definatley become home to a royal gramma as i adore them!!! Also i would like a pair of percula clowns, maybe a tail spot blenny, and i would absolutly love it if i could have a mandarin fish, they are amazing! However im not sure my tank would be big enough. As for a clean up crew, a couple of turbo snails, a boxing shrimp, perhaps some other shrimp, such as skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 or 3 red legged dwarf hermit crabs, and a starfish of some sort, not sure what type?
I know the current filtration will be useless so i will take it out but what about the heater? Do i need cooling fans?
Of course all this is dependent on if i get a job their. I would be in no rush setting it up and am willing to take things slow.

Sorry for the dumbness of this post lol, but all feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks with regards...
James

You could do a pair of clowns and a gramma in there. Make sure you add the clowns first to avoid aggression issues :)

TBH, a skimmer isn't necessary unless you plan on keeping corals and cooling fans are only necessary if you use high powered lights

and dont get the mandarin unless it accepts prepared foods AND you already have a super high pod population by using a refugium, pod piles, separate pod harvesting etc.

Yeah a mandarin would be something i would certainly leave at least a year after setting up once i have the pod population up. I read that for that to go up all i need is live rock and to leave it a fair amount of time and just add no other direct competitors to the mandarins food source. If not how do i go about makeing a refegium?

robbhp i have sent you a pm as im not entirley comfortable giving out details to everyone, the internet is browsed by millions, and a good amount of them are weirdos so you know lol

no, that only applies to large tanks, in a small tank the pod population would be decimated fast and the mandarin would have outlived its stay. Your tank is too small for them.

Refugiums.... well there just sanctuaries for pods and stuff away from the main display but still pumped with the main tanks water, it is normally filled with macro-algae, the macro-algae eats phosphates and nitrates and it also provides a safe haven for pods and stuff. If you want one of these to sustain your pods, your gonna need a big one for that size tank. Even so..... 100 liters :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back