Nano Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ben1234

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon aquarium and i want to start off a nano reef. Im not posotive on what the lighting situation should be. All i want are soft corals and live rock. Do i have to get a compact flourecent or can i get a regular flourecent light meant for corals, so i can use a regular light fixture. Also i dont want to have to deal with cooling my aquarium so i figured this way might be better.
Also i have a bio wheel for a 45 gallon tank i was going to use so i figured i would have enough circulation without a power head. Is This correct?

Compact T5s are the way to go, you could have 1 18W or 2 x 11W units over this tank quite easily.

As for the bio-wheel I am unsure but you need plenty of current in the tank...

Just remember, 5 gallons is small, you would really only want to keep inverts in the tank, although you might be able to keep a shrimp/goby pair in there.

Ben

This is the best lighting option I've been able to find for a 5 gallon so far. When I can finally afford to start setting mine up this is what I'm ordering, the 2x 18W 12" unit. That way you can have a actinic bulb as well, and it comes with a built in lunar light!
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_satellite.html

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back