Nano Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
<P>Nano-sized Fish</P><TABLE BORDER=3><CAPTION>Herbivores</CAPTION><TR><TH>Easy</TH><TH>Moderate </TH><TH>Difficult</TH></TR><TR><TD>Bicolor Blenny,Ecsenius bicolor</TD><TD>Tail Spot BlennyEcsenius stigmatura</TD><TD>Lawnmower BlennySalarias fasciatus</TD></TR><TR><TD>Court Jester Goby,
Amblygobius rainfordi
</TD><TD>Black Sailfin Blenny,
Atrosalarias fuscus
</TD><TD>S</TD></TR><TR><TD>s</TD><TD>w</TD><TD>C</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE BORDER=3><CAPTION>Carnivores</CAPTION><TR><TH>Easy</TH><TH>Moderate</TH><TH>Difficult</TH></TR><TR><TD>Neon Blue Goby, Elacatinus oceanops</TD><TD>Yellowheaded Jawfish, Opistognathus aurifrons</TD><TD>Yellow Stripe Clingfish, <i>Diademichthys lineatus</I></TD></TR><TR><TD>Firefish,Nemateleotris magnifica</TD><TD>s</TD><TD>S</TD></TR><TR><TD>Yellow Watchman Goby, Cryptocentrus cinctus</TD><TD>w</TD><TD>C</TD></TR><TR><TD>Clown Goby Gobiodon atrangulatus</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Banggai Cardinafish,Pterapogon kauderni</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE BORDER=3><CAPTION>Omnivores</CAPTION><TR><TH>Easy</TH><TH>Moderate</TH><TH>Difficult</TH></TR><TR><TD>Ocellaris Clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris</TD><TD>T<TD><TD>A</TD></TR><TR><TD>Midas Blenny, Ecsenius midas</TD><TD>s</TD><TD>S</TD></TR><TR><TD>Yellowtail Damselfish, Chrysiptera parasema</TD><TD>w</TD><TD>C</TD></TR><TR><TD>Blue/Green Reef Chromis' Chromis viridis</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Six Line Wrasse,Pseudocheilinus hexataenia</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR>|<TR><TD>Most Pseudochromis sp.</i></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi all...I started this in 1/08. Feel free to comment, contribute and/or complete. SH

There is no key...those are blanks waiting to be filled in. SH

Is the Bicolor really a herbivor? Mine eats everything that goes in the tank (even fingers, if I go too near his cave!)

It IS a herbivore...unless he's not getting enuf 'herbs' to eat. SH

I've tried to explain it to him, but he likes his Mysis too much!
There is algae and I put in Spirulina flakes, but he's deffo gone native then!

in my opinion a six line wrasse is NOT a good fish, especially for a nano. They'll be "good" for awhile but most usually end up in the sump, back at the lfs, or in the toilet when the owner kicks them out due to aggression. They can also make it hard to add anything else to the tank.

I think any of the following could be added to the list of possible stocking ideas:

Seashorses

Lined Seahorse - Hippocampus erectus
Brazilian Seahorse - Hippocampus reidi

Seabass

Lantern Bass - Serranus baldwini
Chalk Bass - Serranus tortugarum

Grammas

Brazilian Gramma - Gramma brasiliensis
Royal Gramma - Gramma loreto
Blackcap Gramma - Gramma melacara

Assessors

Yellow Assessor - Assessor flavissimus
Blue Assessor - Assessor macneilli

Hawkfish

Coral Hawkfish - Cirrhitichthys oxycephalus
Flame Hawkfish - Neocirrhites armatus
Longnose Hawkfish - Oxycirrhites typus

Angelfish

Flameback Angelfish - Centropyge acanthops
Cherub Angelfish - Centropyge argi
Coral Beauty - Centropyge bisonosa
Eibl's Agelfish - Centropyge eibli
Lemonpeel Angelish - Centropyge flavissima
Flame Angelfish - Centropyge loricula
Halfblack Angelfish - Centropyge vroliki

Damselfish

Tomato Clowns - Amphiprion frenatus
Percula Clowns - Amphiprion percula
Blue Damsel - Chrysiptera cyanea
Talbot's Damsel - Chrysiptera talboti
Yellowtail Damsel - Neopomacentrus azysron]
Jewel Damsel - Plectroglyphidodon lacrymatus
Allen's Damsel - Pomacentrus alleni

Wrasse

Twinspot Hogfish - Bodianus bimaculatus
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Redfin Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis
Longfin Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis
Canary Wrasse - Hailichoeres chrysus
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri
Filamented Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus filamentosus
McCosker's flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus mccoskeri

Dragonets

Scooter Dragonet - Synchiropus ocellatus
Spotted Mandarin - Synchiropus picturatus
Green Mandarin - Synchiropus splendidus

Gobies

Orangespotted Goby - Amblyeleotris guttata
Randall's Goby - Amblyeletris randalli
Yellow Rock Goby - Gobiodon okinawae
Sharknose Goby - Gobiosoma evelynae

Dartfish

Purple Firefish - Nemateleotris decora
Firefish - Nemateleotris magnifica

Pufferfish

Whitespotted Toby - Canthigaster jactator
Valentini Toby - Canthigaster valentini

Hi Andywatson,

I just saw this post today and I appreciate your effort. I don't agree with dragonets for a nano unless the hobbiest is prepared to culture copepods and/or they've acquired a dragonet that's been trained to accept frozen foods. I do think you have the start of something very interesting to develop, but I think we need to make qualifications with regard to difficulty to keep, agression level, and dietary needs (aka reef-safe, invert safe). Perhaps also cross-link this reference with our SW fish species index? This would be an interesting idea. I've got to run some errands now, but in the evening, I'll dive into this list a bit more in detail.

llj :good:

Hi Andywatson,

I just saw this post today and I appreciate your effort. I don't agree with dragonets for a nano unless the hobbiest is prepared to culture copepods and/or they've acquired a dragonet that's been trained to accept frozen foods. I do think you have the start of something very interesting to develop, but I think we need to make qualifications with regard to difficulty to keep, agression level, and dietary needs (aka reef-safe, invert safe). Perhaps also cross-link this reference with our SW fish species index? This would be an interesting idea. I've got to run some errands now, but in the evening, I'll dive into this list a bit more in detail.

I suppose I could have given a little more information for each fish. I don’t see any reason why a Mandarin can’t be kept in a Nano as long as he/she is prepared to regularly dose the tank with zooplankton, copepods and brine shrimp etc. In fact you are probably more likely to succeed with a mandarin in a 20g that is fed a few times with pods a week than one in a 50g due to the pods v volume ratio.

Hi Andywatson,

I suppose I could have given a little more information for each fish. I don’t see any reason why a Mandarin can’t be kept in a Nano as long as he/she is prepared to regularly dose the tank with zooplankton, copepods and brine shrimp etc. In fact you are probably more likely to succeed with a mandarin in a 20g that is fed a few times with pods a week than one in a 50g due to the pods v volume ratio.

I don't think we really disagree...

I don't agree with dragonets for a nano unless the hobbiest is prepared to culture copepods and/or they've acquired a dragonet that's been trained to accept frozen foods

Your average nano hobbiest may not be willing to do this. That's why I think a difficulty level should be thrown in. I love the start, though. I really do appreciate it. We can work on this together, if you'd like? :)

I love the start, though. I really do appreciate it. We can work on this together, if you'd like? :)

Sure just let me know what you would like me to do. :good:

I love the start, though. I really do appreciate it. We can work on this together, if you'd like? :)

Sure just let me know what you would like me to do. :good:

I got a book yesterday, wonder if you've got it too? Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael. I had his 101 guide, but I felt I needed to be aware of more species. 500+ is a lot. :lol: I found all of the species on your list in that book and then some! Fabulous... Will be doing some reading.

I'll ask SH if he wants to help too. I like his idea of the chart cause it's such a quick reference, but your list is much more extensive. Perhaps adding the species to the chart and then updating the chart? Hahaha, can see this being done with, bigger fish, motile inverts and corals too. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back