Mystery snail floating

Crystal90

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So for the past week or so I've found my snail floating around the aquarium. He's still alive but doesn't seem to be moving around a lot. I've placed him under a branch just to hold him in place and he does move from that spot. However in the morning I find him floating again. Today I put him in a shallow dish with water and an algae wafer to see if he eats. He moved around but didn't eat (I think). I want to help but don't know what to do. Any ideas?

There's various reasons. When I first started keeping mystery snails I had this happen a couple times. On one occasion it was due to air being trapped in the shell. You can help by turning the snail over for a breif period. It should blow some bubbles out then sink to bottom without issue. On another occasion the snail's health wasn't good and it eventually passed away.

Also make sure to check you water parameters and if need be do water changes to clean it up.

There's various reasons. When I first started keeping mystery snails I had this happen a couple times. On one occasion it was due to air being trapped in the shell. You can help by turning the snail over for a breif period. It should blow some bubbles out then sink to bottom without issue. On another occasion the snail's health wasn't good and it eventually passed away.

Also make sure to check you water parameters and if need be do water changes to clean it up.
I've had several snails and this is the first time this has happened. I did turn him over and tried to open the 'hatch' [each day] but he pulled it closed, no bubbles.

Might just be resting. Give him some time and make sure the water is clean. I give my mystery snail algea wafer sometimes but also blanched kale and unsalted green beans, he loves both.

Most reactions

Back