My Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber

ozzie2011

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all

Had this little fella for about 7 or 8 months now. When I picked him up he was 3" max, now I dont really know ;) He is happily living in one spot and only stretching his head out at night. In the picture below I estimate him at 7-8" and probably a few inches hidden. My research shows that they normally only get to 12"-18" in aquariums so mine is a decent size. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade my tank in the next few month enabling me to keep him :)

For you guys that nknow nothing about them heres a bit of speel

The Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber is one of nature's more exotic detritus eaters. With its brown body spotted with white and dressed in numerous spiny papillae, Holothuria sp. is also a visually stunning addition to the home aquarium. Since it is a very adept and agile scavenger, the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber can clean detritus from beneath rockwork and difficult-to-clean tight corners.

Native to the oceans of the Indo-Pacific, this member of the Holothuriidae family can grow to impressive lengths of up to six feet long in the wild. In the home aquarium, however, most max out in length between 12" and 18" long. In general, keep only 3 inches of worm for every 20 gallons of aquarium water.

For best care, the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber should be kept in larger systems with thick sand beds and rocky caves for shelter. The natural diet of the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber consists of diatoms, microalgae, bacteria, meaty foods, and other detritus. Interestingly, the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber is one of the few species that attaches its lower body to the inside of its shelter and only extends its anterior half when searching for food.

Like other invertebrates, the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber cannot tolerate high nitrate levels or copper-based medications. The drip-acclimation method is recommended to minimize exposure to fluctuating water parameters.

DSCF3561.jpg

DSCF3562-1.jpg

That is really spooky, I was just looking at one of those in the lfs, was very tempted

Seffie x

that is one ugly critter and thats rich coming from me, you know the kind of things i keep! lol

That is really spooky, I was just looking at one of those in the lfs, was very tempted

Seffie x

How much were they asking Sef?

I think he is a cool looking thing personally, somethimes he comes out in the day but not all that often, had to get this pic with the flash :crazy:
He is more orange than brown, the colour is stunning though :)

Not sure how happy I would be bumping into a 6 footer in the wild though lol

How much were they asking Sef?

:blush: I didn't look! I was really on the look-out for another bubble-tip and he caught my attention, I knew he was a sea cucumber but wasn't sure what type, so decided against before even looking at the price

Seffie x

ps if I get the chance I will go take another look

I love him :hyper: I think i have seen one for £18? or was is £10? :rolleyes:

Thanks Sef, just curious ;)

Lol Harry

I think I paid £7 off a felow reefer but like I said he was small....Not sure what they would say at the lfs if I took this monster in hehe

Most reactions

trending

Back