My Tarantula Log

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dominus_XVIII

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Here's some pics I took, on November 8th 2012, when I first received my tarantula slings. Placed an order with TarantulaCanada and found out they're the best place to get Ts here in Canada, premium service at it's best, they're located in Quebec and they ship internationally. They also gave me a free newly hatched Brazilian giant blonde, along with my original order.

My Costa Rican tiger rump (C. fasciatum) - 3/4". Refer to post #1 for adult size and colouration.
IMAG0719-1-1.jpg

My Chaco gold knee (G. pulchripes) - 1/2". Refer to post #8 for adult size and colouration.
IMAG0721-1-1.jpg

My Brazilian giant blonde (N. tripepii) - 1/4". Hairiest tarantula hatchling I've ever seen lol. It's got more hair than my other two older slings.
IMAG0722-1-1.jpg

Pics of my DIY tarantula condo, taken on November 10th 2012. Using Exo Terra plantation soil (3.6qt/4L bag version) Finer grains of dried coco husk, the Ts seem to like it as they all burrowed. Can't see them any more lol, just openings in the sub with webbing around it.

Full "tank" shot
IMAG0729-1.jpg

Condo close up
IMAG0733-1.jpg

Half burrowed Tiger rump sling (C.fasciatum)
IMAG0730-1.jpg

Brazilian giant blonde sling (N.tripepii), blending in with the coco fibers quite well
IMAG0731-1.jpg

Checked up on my Ts on the 12th of November, my tiger rump did a little renovating in it's container. It dug a bunch of tunnel systems and constructed a few dirt tents, which are held up by webbing connected to the lid of it's container. There's also a decent amount of webbing around the container and across the sub. Here's a pic.

IMAG0736-1.jpg

November 17th 2012, Happen to get a few updated pics, of my 3/4" Costa Rican tiger rump sling and 1/2" Chaco gold knee sling.

My Costa Rican tiger rump sling getting ready to ambush a cricket, stuck in it's webbing.
IMAG0750-1.jpg

My Costa Rican tiger rump sling, feeding on cricket.
IMAG0752-1.jpg

My Chaco gold knee sling, dragging a cricket, into it's tunnel to feast upon it.
IMAG0751-1.jpg

November 19th 2012, couple of pics of my slings drinking from the DIY water dishes I made for them. They're too small for a entire bottle cap, so I cut the interior of the cap out and use them as mini/sling water dishes (refer to pic #3, for size of the DIY sling water dishes). The first day I put them in, the Ts just crawled up to them and started drinking like it was second nature lol.

Chaco gold knee drinking from dish
IMAG0811-1.jpg

Costa Rican rump drinking dish
IMAG0810-1.jpg

DIY sling water dish made from interior of water bottle cap. Note the size, smaller than a thumb tack.
IMAG0812-1.jpg

The morning after photos though, apologize for the foggy pics, misted their containers earlier in the morning when these were taken, but you can still see how fat they got.

Costa Rican tiger rump, fat as hell lol. It's abdomen is double the size of it's carapace, length and width wise.
IMAG0838-1.jpg

Chaco gold knee
IMAG0839-1.jpg

On Christmas morning I woke up and discovered, that my C.fasciatum sling had molted. The sling use to measure 3/4", but now measures 1.1". The size difference is pretty noticeable, as you can see in the pics below. The sling's overall body thickness has doubled and so have the thickness of it's leg segments. When I first received the sling, it looked more like spider, but now after the molt it's getting that sub-adult T look. In pic # 4 you can see my freshly molted sling beside it's molt, comparing the growth. Pic# 5 is just the molt itself, pic # 6 shows the entrance of it's burrow, where it spent the majority of one week prior to it's Christmas morning molt. I'll be getting a larger container for this sling after it's next molt.

IMAG0892.jpg

IMAG0893.jpg

IMAG0894.jpg

IMAG0895.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg508/A-xander_505/IMAG0896.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg508/A-xander_505/IMAG0897.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg508/A-xander_505/IMAG0898.jpg

Updated on the 12th this month, been pretty busy with my new college program. Here just two pics, of my C.fasciatum and G.pulchripes.

C.fasciatum sling 1.1", feasting on a large feeder cricket.
IMAG0917-1.jpg

G.pulchripes sling, just molted 2 days ago. Now 3/4" and finally showing some color development in it's legs.
IMAG0922-1.jpg

These last three pics were taken 2 days ago, my G.pulchripes has finally hardend after it's molt. Has a orange hue to it now and the hairs of it's abdomen are red. Most likely from gut loading the crickets with carrots lol. Enjoy.

IMAG0937-1-1.jpg

IMAG0939-1-1.jpg

IMAG0941-1-2.jpg

crazyforcordoras said:
This is really cool. I will be following tis topic.
Thank you, recently I haven't been able to find other individuals outside of tarantula forums to talk to about tarantulas ;). I'll be updating this thread with pictures weekly, so bee sure to stay tuned, as I might acquire more slings and more colourful specimens.

Id like a tarantula, but my moms deathly afraid of spiders so i cant get one. :(

crazyforcordoras said:
Id like a tarantula, but my moms deathly afraid of spiders so i cant get one. :(
I see haha, but the best way to overcome a fear is to face it head on. I'm pretty sure if you can convince her to handle one at a petstore, she may change her mind.
Even I was hesitant at first about buying them, but soon after, my fascination for them surpassed my fear of them. I would suggest getting a fully grow adult or sub-adult rose hair tarantula to start off, this will help you get use to their size and rose hairs are the most docile Ts avalible.

Beautiful little creatures! Their colours are just fantastic!
I'm a bit wary about spiders, but was given the chance to hold a Chilean rose and really enjoyed it- she was an amazing critter
smile.png
 Looking forward to more updates :good:

Finally got another update for you guys, here's my G.pulchripes again. He just molted an hour ago, sucks that I couldn't catch on camera though.

In the 3 pics below, you can see he's beginning to get his adult colours. His carapace has finally turned black. Just need to wait 1 week, to see how much he's going to grow, after he hardens.

imag11151.jpg

imag11161.jpg

imag11171.jpg

His molted exuvium, even though it's just his molt, those fangs still look pretty formidable lol.

imag11191.jpg

He's smaller than I expected, judging by the picture in your hand.

Neat pics, thanks for sharing!

benzenering said:
He's smaller than I expected, judging by the picture in your hand.Neat pics, thanks for sharing!
Yeah lol, they're still slings, but each time they molt they double in size. I should post my Costa Rican tiger rump sling, it's leg span is about 2.25". All these tarantulas max out at the size of 8", which takes 2-3 years. My 3 tarantulas are between 3 and 5 months old.

Wow! I'm not usually a spider person but those tarantulas are amazing! Do you breed them to keep or to sell? How many breeds of tarantula do you own?
Cheers,
Imogen

Imogen said:
Wow! I'm not usually a spider person but those tarantulas are amazing! Do you breed them to keep or to sell? How many breeds of tarantula do you own?
Cheers,
Imogen
I haven't got my hands on any proven pairs yet, but hopefully I'll be able to find a couple for sale this summer lol. I currently own 5 species. 3 terrestrials and 2 arboreals, which include: 1 Costa Rican tiger rump (Cyclosternum.fasciatum), 1 Chaco gold knee (Grammostola.pulchripes), 1 Brazilian giant blonde (Nhandu.tripepii), 1 Versicolor (Avicularia.versicolor) and 1 Common pink toe (Avicularia.avicularia).
The 2 Avics are the tree tarantulas, the rest are terrestrial.

Keep an eye out for Tuesday guys, I'll be receiving a new baby tarantula :)

Just a heads up for anyone interested in getting a few Ts, scorps, trapdoor spiders, centipedes or whip tail scorpions. Tarantula Canada just got in a lot of new stock and re-stocked on some old favorites. Tarantula Canada ships Internationally across the world, but please check your country's import/export regulations and laws, before placing an order.

Here's some deals on the main page, which include 5 scorpions for $40, 5 T slings for $25 or 5 slings special mix for $50.

http://tarantulacanada.ca/news.php

Here's a link to their entire stock list, if it's posted on the list it's in stock.

http://tarantulacanada.ca/price.php

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back