My Tap Water Readings Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

lana

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok so here are my reading right from that tap
ammonia close to 1.0 ( ran a test with 1 liter tap water and added PRIME took levels to 0 so i add double what is called for in tank have a 48g)
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph redish purple off the high range chart
gh 4 drops 71.6
kh 2 drops 35.8

my in tank readings ( on day 23 of fish-in cycle)

ammonia 0 ( reading 0 to 0.25 for 2 days now) closer to 0 is my guess, other days anywheres from 0 to 0.50
nitrite 0.25
nitrate 5
ph 7.2 ( holds steady )
gh 4 drops 71.6
kh 3 drop 53.7

temp 80

doing daily water changes of at least 50% to keep level good for fish 2 somedays :crazy:

what do i do different or am i doing it right so confused my tap water reading

and i have no idea what gh and kh are suspose to be or what they do mean at all (yes i am new to this)

thanks for any help i can get

An ammonia reading in chlorominated water is not uncommon once the dechlorinator has broken the bond between the chlora and the amine

GH is general hardness and is mostly an indicator of magnesium and calcium ions. It isn't a massively important reading to worry about unless you want to breed softwater fish.

KH is the carbonate hardness and is also referred to as alkalinity. This is the measure of carbonate and bicarbonate in the water. The alkalinity of the water indicates the ability of the water to resist downward changes in pH.

An ammonia reading in chlorominated water is not uncommon once the dechlorinator has broken the bond between the chlora and the amine

GH is general hardness and is mostly an indicator of magnesium and calcium ions. It isn't a massively important reading to worry about unless you want to breed softwater fish.

KH is the carbonate hardness and is also referred to as alkalinity. This is the measure of carbonate and bicarbonate in the water. The alkalinity of the water indicates the ability of the water to resist downward changes in pH.

thanks Andy, Does that mean i am good then .... :unsure:

Doesn't seem too bad to me. I'm sure the cycling is progressing naturally, just keep doing the water changes. (I know I didn't add much, but I didn't want you to think that I missed the thread, either.)

Doesn't seem too bad to me. I'm sure the cycling is progressing naturally, just keep doing the water changes. (I know I didn't add much, but I didn't want you to think that I missed the thread, either.)

thanks so much guys . :)

Most reactions

Back