My Shellie /multies Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LilyRose Tank

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Last week I set up my 64L (17G) tank as a shellie tank, for shell dwelling cichlid I hadn't known existed. I always believed the cichlid world was one I wouldn't be able to venture into due to the inability for me to have very large volume tanks, as we don't have the available room at our house. Then a forum member ( Alasse, thank you so so much) informed me of the Neolamprologus multifasciatus fish, a Tang lake cichlid that only grows to a maximum of 5cm. I was absolutely thrilled and set about turning my snail tank into a shellie tank. I emptied, cleaned the tank and added 12kg of sand and a few kg of coral sand to help raise pH. I also purchased calciferous Rock ( also known as Texas holey Rock) which also raises pH. I ordered turbo shells, and escargot shells from ebay, and also went in a shell hunt with my family at Rhosslil beach , Gower,( which wasn't as productive as we had hoped but the girls enjoyed it anyway). So today, the shells, and my KH/GH test kit arrived. So the shells have been placed in the tank and I have tested the tank water. The results are , on the GH test....8 drops turned the colour, and on the KH ...18 drops turned the colour!! Which isn't on the results table. I had also added sodium bicarbonate to the water a few days ago to raise pH and finally got a pH reading of 8 which the fish prefer. So, the GH is 143.2 and the KH is off the scale. Any advise please before I can get my new fish into their new home. Thanks

I have purchased my multies, and they are settling in very well. Have picked their shells and even seem to have paired up. I am planning a wc soon, once the cichlid salts have arrived. They are lovely little fish and very amusing to watch

liking the texas holey rock---post some pics with the new inhabitants soon--or maybe even a video

Well as expected, the fish have been doing some home decor redesign! Most shells are now covered in coral sand and there have begun to develop sand banks at the front of the tank and some deep excavating under the rocks has occurred, this seems to be the choice for the males to live , and the females have selected their shell and are inhabiting them. Hope to see fry eventually but they are such funny little fish, hours of joy watching their antics

Update, today I made the mistake of unburying some buried shells. Since doing this I have noticed fry and fear I have disturbed a nest. I have seen two fry from this end of the tank and the female seems to be searching for her babies and I feel so guilty. Will these little guys survive?

Most reactions

trending

Back