My littlest snail is empty

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have 3 snails in my 10g tank. 2 are bigger and one is tiny-maybe 1 mm in diameter. (I only pretend to know what a mm is. He's very little). So I was looking in there last night and see just the shell. I know the snail is not in there because I can see through it and tonight it's in the same place. Would one of the fish have eaten it? The snails have been in there for at least a couple of weeks now.

If it's in the same tank as the betta, I wouldn't doubt it. My female betta was a serial snail killer (Margaret Thatcher, Queen Elizabeth, Tony Blair I-V).

Hsieyun said:
If it's in the same tank as the betta, I wouldn't doubt it. My female betta was a serial snail killer (Margaret Thatcher, Queen Elizabeth, Tony Blair I-V).
Uh oh does that mean my bigger snails might be at risk? They are about 1/4 inch diameter and she's small-maybe an inch long not including her tailfin. She does look a little shifty...

Hi gale :)

When a snail dies, for whatever reason, the trap door in it's shell will open and any meat eating fish is likely to take advantage of the opportunity for a tasty snack. It's possible that this might have happened too.

gale said:
Hsieyun said:
Uh oh does that mean my bigger snails might be at risk? They are about 1/4 inch diameter and she's small-maybe an inch long not including her tailfin. She does look a little shifty...
Not necessarily. My other bettas were always fine with their snails. I'd keep an eye on her, though. ;)

I would agree with Inch's theory that it died and someone cleaned it out. Usually when a betta eats a snail they'll take the whole thing, shell and all. -_-

I've lost another, only this time in my male betta's tank. Earlier tonight it was moving up the wall like normal. A few hours ago I heard what sounded like rocks dropping and looked over and my male was in the corner toward the bottom. Not really unusual though. I went over and looked and right where he was, I see the empty shell of a snail. It was a bigger one too-almost 1/4 inch. I'm sad because this was my first ever snail that came in on my plants. My kids and I spent a lot of time staring at it when it was in the 20g tank, but I moved it to the small tank because we could never find it in the big one and my kids love looking for it.

oh well. :dunno:

Sorrell said:
I would agree with Inch's theory that it died and someone cleaned it out. Usually when a betta eats a snail they'll take the whole thing, shell and all. -_-
Agryphon would usually leave the shells. :dunno:

You're probably right, though. :D

Most reactions

Back