My Killifish Showtank Journal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fella

Research!
Reaction score
So I have a bit of spare time on my hands (for once) so am putting together a journal of killifhs. Hopefully it will encourage other enthusiasts to keep killies as well, and maybe encourage some killi-egg swaps.

Tank

So the tank that I will be using is this one -

13979_juwel_rekord60_1.jpg

A juwel Rekord 60. That's just a stock photo, I doubt I could ever plant that well. Or overstock that well either.

I keep a few tanks already, but don't really have tanks that I could really show someone with a "wow" factor. I've tried, but I am terrible at growing plants, and most of my fish are plain coloured oddballs. So I want a tank that friends and family will appreciate (most don't really "get" the hobby").

So to start with I wanted to make the tank a bit different. I spotted a background in an LFS that I liked but there were 2 issues

1 ) It was too big for a rekord 60

2 ) I have no idea how on earth you put a background into a tank. My DIY experience has only ever gone as far putting together the most basic of aquarium stands.

So I had the rekord 60 for some time before, and put it into storage after I upgraded the fish from it. It needed a throrough clean and the new background adding. I had previously removed the Juwel filters (which I don't really like the look of, and don't fit in with the objective of "show tank". I also removed the standard juwel lighting on the basis I wanted something quite strong lighting for plants.

After a good clean and a wipe down (using just newspaper and vinegar - my favoured tank glass cleaning tools) I had a clear Juwel rekored 60. I took the background, and using not so careful measuring techniques sawed the end off of it. It's made from a fibreglass style material, but I would have to assume it's non-toxic, being a fish tank background and all. I siliconed it in (I think that siliconing is not my vocation in life, but after a few days it still holds strong and there is none on the all important front glass. The background also revealed it might form part of the filter, but more of that later.

Here is a photo of tank in it's current position, with background in, water in, and the lights from my 75g brackish tank above it -

1459102499_0f69e225de_b.jpg

It's a start, and probably a better start than most of the tanks I've had in the past.

Filtration

So I want minimal equipment on show in the tank, and thankfully behind the background there is room for the heater. Water flows freely behind the background because of the notch in the top left, and there was a slight gap on the far left as well. This gap I have cut sponge to fill it. This gave me an idea - As water flows freely behind the filter, I don't want to lose small fish behind there, but maybe I could put it to use? Using the sponge as a prefilter, I have filled the back of the tank with filter media, plastic ribbed rings. The idea is that the water will flow through the sponges on the far left, through the rings, into the external filter intake, and then the outake would be in the far right of the aquarium, as unobtrusive as possible. So i needed to find an external filter ideal for a 60 litre tank. I thought Ebay would have the answer for me, and that it did.

Externalfilter3.jpg

Externalfilter2.jpg

Externalfilter1.jpg

Rated at 5.5w and 200 LPH it was enough to filter the tank (plus all the media at the back) but not enough to create a large current. I want the tank as still as possible. It's in hong kong, so delivery will probably be up to 28 days, but, it's exactly what I want. Total cost is £20 also.

Lighting

I saw that the same company also do a mini luminaire.

Overtankluminaire1.jpg

Overtankluminaire2.jpg

This luminaire looks very stylish i thought, and cheaper than arcadia's offering (£163 versus £17.30 delivered). I havent decided whether or not to buy this yet. The consensus is that I could buy a light from ikea to do a similar job, but maybe I could simply add a decent tube with the right spectrum to this light? As yet, I'm still undecided. I maybe buy 2 and add them both. I would also then have to add cover glasses to the tank.

Substrate

In other tanks before this one when I've tried pathetically to grow plants, i've added eco-complete. I've never been convinced by it's properties as a fertilised substrate, so today i bought a similar looking but cheaper gravel.

627243.jpg

Simply described as "Roman gravel" it's reasonably large stones, jet black. I'll add this to the tank later tonight, and hopefully it will bring out the colours in my fish.

Fish

So i decided quite early on I wanted to keep a killifsih in this tank, Nothobrancius Eggersi.

nothobranchius-eggersi.jpg

9254_1.JPG

These fish are Killifish. I've never kept Killis before but always want to try my hands at something new. These fish live in small ponds and ditches, and few grow very large. This particular species comes in many forms, the most propular being variations of either red or blue. I prefer the red (although the blue is also pretty good!). I've never seen these in my years of wandering fish shops, so needed to locate a breeder. A lot of killifish are "annuals". that means they live for a year, and in that time they spawn in their habitat, and the eggs themselves "overseason". While the dry season happens and there is no water, the eggs survive in the dirt where they were spawned, meaning that during the next rainy seaeson they can hatch and the whole cycle begins again. I plan to replicate this in the aquarium, but I'll add photos on that later on.

I found these fish on Ebay Thailand.. Because the fish have a stage where they're out of water, they are postable. Mine have been posted and are on their way to me. 50 Eggs, and I paid £15. I hope to trade these with other people who are keen to keep them, and some of the ones I hope to breed as well.

Plants

No idea. I'd very much like some ideas. I'm very good at killing plants, so easy to keep ones would be great. I'd also like to try my hand at CO2 as well, but my understanding is that I'd need a specific light level before I can do that. Educate me!

So that's the beginning of my Killi-keeping journal. I'm hoping this will grow into a thread which will encourage others to keep killis as well!

If you can see any problems, issues or things that should be changed or anything I haven't covered in full, be sure to ask!

Nice Killi choice.

You'll only need CO2 if you have light intensity over 2 watt per gallon. The light unit you showed doesn't look like a very powerful unit and you may only be able to grow the most undemanding plants. In my opinion any basic plant setup needs a nutritious substrate, IME Eco-complete is great for growing plants, but you may still be able to grow some plants without a nutritious substrate. Some people have had success with inert substrates and provided all the plants nutrients via estimative index dosing, this is not that easy to do however.

Mike

Hi Fella.
I dont wish to cut across you plans, but you do seem to have a conflicting interest here. I think you are caught between showing off the fish / breeding and a planted aquaria.
OK so you want a nice show tank of Eggersi (possibly red form) If you are wishing to have a planted tank then you need to address all the aspects of plant maintenance (an exact science in it's self) The gravel and sub-gravel additives needs to be addressed. This in turn will be no good for collecting eggs of Nothos and giving them the dry period which they need to develop. The lighting for plants will be too bright and will wash out the colours of your fish. The filtration is way to strong for Nothobranchius sp. And be careful with CO2 as this can cause pH swings if not properly maintained and regulated.
You mention that you are new to killifish, yet you are buying eggs and have no idea what it takes to rear a batch of Eggersi fry sucessfully. if they are viable in the first instance.
I'm not slating you....far from it for me to bad mouth anyone who is a trying to have a go at something new. All I will do speaking from experience is to offer you some advice. So for what it's worth,
Yes keep your Juwel tank and research all the aspects of the planted aquaria. (buy Tropica brand plants) and make this a nice show tank that you desire.
Then because Killifish breeding is not a nice spick and span operation, I would personally invest in two more glass tanks (nothing fancy) one would be 16"x8"x8" for breeding and the other 12"x12"x12" for rearing. I wont go into breeding and rearing specifics here. But utilise these two tanks to do the dirty work as it were (behind the scenes) and then transfer your best specimens to your pristine planted tank.
Sorry If I sounded so harsh concerning your venture, but again speaking from experience of both killifish and tentivly about planted aquariums and CO2 systems then I think this would be a better route for you to embark upon.
Regards
BigC

BigC I appreciate your input, but some of the problems that you have noted will occur, I have already accounted for.

- The fish won't be bred in this tank. I have a tank that I have set aside for breeding them in if breeding them in pots of peat in the tank isn't viable.
- The substrate is a plain dark gravel, not a fertilised gravel.
- I don't know which lights I'm going to use yet. If you say that bright lights are likely to wash out the killies colour, then I will be going for dimmer lights, and plants to match that. I'll have to
- I see no reason why the fry shouldn't be viable? Feedback from the seller indicates that others in europe (and the UK) have hatched fry successfully without problems. You say I've got "no idea what it takes to rear a batch of eggersi fry successfully". Well, part of the point of this journal is that i want to learn, be it through my own trial and error, and through the advice of others like yourself. I haven't done this on a whim, and you can see that I am planning thoroughly.

The idea behind the journal is that I want to learn, and having not kept killies before if I can document what it takes to keep these fish for a newcomer then surely that will help others too.

No problem Fella.
More power to your elbow for wishing to educate yourself in this field.
I only wish to alert you to there are pitfalls along the way. By your reply you seem very keen and are on top of things.
Go for it and keep your journal up dated.
If you need advise then I'll be around.
Regards
BigC
PS but do take into account the strong out flow from the filter and using surface plants will diffuse the lighting somewhat.

your just like me! I cant keep plants for my life, they all just die on me!

good luck!

No problem Fella.
More power to your elbow for wishing to educate yourself in this field.
I only wish to alert you to there are pitfalls along the way. By your reply you seem very keen and are on top of things.
Go for it and keep your journal up dated.
If you need advise then I'll be around.
Regards
BigC
PS but do take into account the strong out flow from the filter and using surface plants will diffuse the lighting somewhat.

No problem BigC! There are no hard feelings or anythng.

yes, the filter is something I'll have to approach when i get to it. before then i've got to create my own sponge filters as well, something again that i've never done before.

1468001141_41bbc13059_b.jpg

Here is the tank with gravel. And a surprise today, the eggs arrived very early!

1467313255_0e093c535c_b.jpg

And here are some other goodies that came in the package, some artemia eggs (I've never hatched these before, should be an experience) and some "fairy shrimp" eggs.

The information states that the fairy shrimp eggs are added at the same time as the killi eggs, so presumably they hatch together, and the tiny nothos will eat the even tinier fairy shrimp (which are the equivalent of sea monkeys i think).

The package is in a warm sealed bag, and are stated to need hatching around the 10th of october.

Background looks great :) cant wait to see the final product!

ok, so the eggs arrived, and earlier I looked through them. i was told via email from the seller that they may develop early and i should check to see if they are ready for hatching. After closely examining some photos online of my fish ready to hatch, I decided to add the peat to the hatching tank. The small gravel dots had gold eyes, and I was sure this was a sign.

So I assembled the following hatchery -

1472687849_9113649fc9_b.jpg

It's very much a bodge job. But it works thus far.

the setup consists of -

1 air pump
2 airstones - 1 is running through a sponge in teh hatchery tank, the other is bubbling in the artemia pot at the front. They're both connected to the same pump with a T connector.

1 breeding trap. The logic behind this is that once the peat has been added, if any eggs hatch, it can then simply be re added to the pot from which it came.

1 cheap acrylic tank everything is in

1 empty pot, full of warm water, the bubbling airstone and the artemia cysts. I'm not sure this is working so far. I added salt to the mix as well, but Im not sure how long this takes to hatch, or how successful it should be.

So I added the peat. I could see some of the eggs resting on the surface. And within an hour, some had hatched!

this is an awful photo, these guys really are minute, but here is a top down view of what is inside the breeding trap -

1472571329_6713a32248_b.jpg

White sphere in the top left is an egg just about to hatch. little white vertical ghost like apparition in the bottom right is a fry!

I'm quite excited but very worried at the same time.

I have a microworm culture arriving tomorrow. This I'm hoping should help but I am concerned about food. i did add some hikari "first bites" food, which is essentially a very, very fine powder. I have seen some of the fry eat this, but i want live foods. I am hoping the artemia will all hatch very very soon. I added some "food" from an infusoria culture I made up from a link on the net but did they eat anything from this? i'm not sure.

My main concern, and question is around "belly sliders" the fry sit on the bottom most of the time, then dart upwards before resting again, I'm hoping these are just young fish, and not belly sliders.

Any advice gratefully received

woah , congrats on the fry, im thinking of setting up the same sort of tank, u got these off ebay right?ive seen this exact same offer actually, lol, well thanks for posting all this stuff, i really would like to find out how the eggs do!

well I've come across a hurdle, the fry are so tiny they have all actually swum out of the breeding trap. I wasn't expecting that. It had just a small container on the sellers site, and i thought it would be too small and too likely to get polluted. Now of course, I see why it's so tiny.

Told you they were tiny fry.
Bellysliders are not uncommon, on hatching the newborn fry need to get to the surface to fill their swim bladder failure to do this results in a bellyslider (totally unviable). How much water depth is in the tub, ( around 1" is adaquate but keep an eye on evaporation)
I would have hatched the fry in a slightly larger tub (white is best for visuals) Float the tub in an aquarium and place in the tub some floating plant such as Salvinia. This will produce a natural infusoria culture if kept with a light over it (a drop of liquifry for egglayers will also help this along, but keep the tubs clean). The fry should be able to take newly hatched brineshrimp after a couple of days. I mean newly hatched as day old brineshrimp nauplii will have doubled in size and nutritional content dimished somewhat. Also small microworm/vinegar eel can be offered.
I transfer the fry to a seperate tub when they hatch and commence feeding.
How many eggs did you buy (egg count or weeks spawn) and how many have hatched thus far.
Regards
BigC

Ok so as an update -

They are still tiny. Magnifying glass tiny. The BBS hatched and I *think* they're feeding on them, but there is floating plant and a drop of liquifry in there too.

I have about 7 or 8, but it is so hard to say. I have a microworm culture in the post, but of course, royal mail are doing their best to spoil my chances of it being viable by the time it gets here.

How long will they remain this small? When will I be able to get them on bigger foods?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back