My Hardware Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Damsel_in_Distress

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:rolleyes: im setting up a 40 gallon breeder. and im not really sure if i should go fish only or reef too. nevermind i'll get to that in another topic. ANYWAYS. i was wondering if the hardware i have chosen were good choices.

Hagen Fluval 304
Aqua systems seaclone Skimmer 100
2 or 3 Aqua systems Maxijet 600's
Hagen Preset Thermal 150W heater
Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Fixture

i was wondering if these would be pretty good choices for either a reef or fish only setup. (im trying to be flexible)
thanks for anyones help! bye. :fun:

:rolleyes: im setting up a 40 gallon breeder. and im not really sure if i should go fish only or reef too. nevermind i'll get to that in another topic. ANYWAYS. i was wondering if the hardware i have chosen were good choices.

Hagen Fluval 304
Aqua systems seaclone Skimmer 100
2 or 3 Aqua systems Maxijet 600's
Hagen Preset Thermal 150W heater
Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Fixture

i was wondering if these would be pretty good choices for either a reef or fish only setup. (im trying to be flexible)
thanks for anyones help! bye. :fun:

I would say scrap the hagen fluval, get an aquaclear 500 (or whatever it is called now) will give you great flow,a place to put filter media when needed, or you could even turn it into a refugium (do a search in the marine area and you will find a couple of threads with pics)
Done't get the seaclone, one of the most finnicky skimmers out on the market, only sold alot because of their price point, if you are looking for a low budget skimmer then go with a coralife skimmer of an appropriate size.
Go with Maxijet 1200s, this will give you a good amount of flow, maybe put 4 in the tank and connect them to a wave timer (that's what I would do)
I have been VERY impressed with the All Glass or Hydor heaters (both are made by Hydor and are exactly the same design) they don't use a normal heating element, and actually DO turn off without cracking if ran dry.
If you get the coralife aqualight deluxe fixture, make sure that you get the mounting legs that are an option. Personally I would look for a non power compact bulb option (much of the recent studies show faults in Power Compact design) I would go with a VHO or a VHO and 150 Metal halide light combo which would be AWESOME on a 40 breeder, you could keep whatever kind of light demanding coral you wanted to!
As far as lighting and a skimmer go, don't skimp on these two important pieces of hardware, they are expensive to upgrade, and you will thank yourself in the long run if you get good lighting and a good skimmer so that your tank starts out on the right foot.

Most reactions

trending

Back