My Dwarf Seahorses!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ron

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just recieved these guys about a week ago. I started with 12 adults and I already have over 25 little babies. The tank it 10 gallons and those are live marine shoal grass. Enjoy!

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

Very cute little fish. Very nice and congratulation on the babies.

Willie,

Your tank is wonderful. How exciting. I'm setting up my first dwarf seahorse tank & will get a shipment of macroalgae to put in it this week.

Did you use live sand? Any other critters in there?

Cheers!

Karen

Thanks for the comments, guys.

GuppyDude- 12 adults and 25 babies in a 10 gallon in nothing. I know of people who keep up to 60 horses in a 10 gallon. They are very hardy and they need a heavy density since they eat BBS.

Karen- The sand in there is from my 125 gallon marine aquarium. No critter except 2 snails to keep the hair algae down. The seagrass really sucks up the nurtients away from the microalgaes, though.

Fishkillernomore- I buy decapsulated brine shrimp cysts online, which are 10X easier and cleanier than the capsulated cysts. It takes me about 20 minutes a day to clean the hatchery, fill with fresh water and eggs and clean the newly hatched bbs. not bad at all.

When I do get an excess of the dwarfs I will be looking to sell them to good homes in the US since they are prohibbited to the UK and Europe.

Hi Willie,

Thanks. Also noticed that your heater is in the tank and not covered & apparently isn't hurting your dwarfs. I was trying to figure out how to deal with the heater, but if they're not going to be hurt with it in the tank, in the tank it goes.

The heater I got is the AquaClear 25 watt for a 2.5 gal tank.

Thanks,

Karen

I bought them from one of my friends who was able to sell me a dozen of his extra horsies. 5 of the 6 males were far along in their pregnancies when I recieved them.
They are very lazy and either hang onto the grasses with their tails looking around with their chameleon like eyes or they also enjoy drifting around in the filter currents.
They eat freshly hatched baby brine shrimp twice a day.

Karen- Since the heater is so wide and smooth they dont see it as a hicthing post and leave it alone. I've yet to see one of them really try to hitch to it. Plus the heater isn't on too much. The lights are what heat the tank, I just that the heater in there to keep them tank's temp steady because my basement is cold. Many people don't have a heater at all because the air temp is able to stabalize the water temp.
I have an open top for 1) lets all the light from the grow lamps in so the live grass grows, and 2) I like the look of an open top. Many seahorse keepers keep the top off to maximize oxygen diffusion and keep the temp of the tank down.
When are you getting your horses?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back