My Dog Has Had A Phantom Pregnancy....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I've treated dogs with phantom pregnancies (when I was a VN) and it's a pain in the arse for them. Would definitely be worth getting her spayed, in my previous experience, bitches that were prone to phantom pregnancies seemed to be more likely to develop pyometra (a deadly uterine infection). Spaying would eliminate that risk and help prevent mammary cancer too. :good:

Hope she's feeling better soon!

Hi

I have a 8 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ***** She had her first season a month ago. My neighbour had a puppy 2 years ago from the first litter. As soon she had her spayed the dog became big and the coat is gone all curly. She doesn’t over feed the dog and it gets plenty of exercise. I have seen loads of dogs from this breed being far to big and every time I ask the owner says it’s since she been spayed. I am sure that having a very over weight dog is not very healthy for the dog. On the other hand I don’t want the risk of cancer. I really don’t know what to do?

Thanks

Sabby
With all due respect, it is absolute nonsense. The only reason anything gets overweight is by taking in more calories than it uses up. how do you know she doesn't overfeed the dog? It may get the right amount of dog food but the wrong sort, then get endless 'treats' through the day, a bit of digestive here, the remains of the dinner there. All extra calories. All my life I have had dogs, I always neuter the ones I didn't want to breed and never had a fat one as I don't give 'treats'. Here is my neutered lurcher dog. Does he look fat to you? How about the tibetan spaniel or shih tzu? I also took in a neutered 8 year old yorkie last year and she is fit and slim too. It is easier to keep the weight off than cure cancer.
urianpippin.jpg

missbonio2002.jpg

katie-1.jpg

Unless you're showing her, coat shouldn't be an issue.

There is only one reason a spayed dog gets fat. And that is because the owner either feeds them too much and/or exercises them too little. If a dog puts on weight, you alter their food intake and up their exercise. Problem solved.

And I'm sure a pyometra or cancer would be much more worrisome than a bit of extra weight. After all you can put your dog on a diet, but you cant bring them back from the dead.

Hi

I totally agree with you. I rather have a bigger dog then a dead one.
But the dog I am talking about gets a two hour walk every day and gets feed good nutritious dog food (small portions) .Someone said that it’s the breed.
I had a Doberman ***** for 15 years and she never put on any weight when I had her spayed.

Thanks

Sabby

My girl actually lost weight initially because she was going through seasons so often, she had no energy - once she was spayed it was like she was "back" :) She didn't ever get underweight, the fact was she got so poorly during her seasons, she only ate, slept and wanted little exercise - she just tired out so easy - so was a little overweight if anything. The weight's crept back up a little recently, but it is 6 years on now, and she's an old lady (with a penchant for maltesers). :rolleyes:

She's a lurcher though, a far cry from a cavvie lol :blush:

Unless you're showing her, coat shouldn't be an issue.

There is only one reason a spayed dog gets fat. And that is because the owner either feeds them too much and/or exercises them too little. If a dog puts on weight, you alter their food intake and up their exercise. Problem solved.

And I'm sure a pyometra or cancer would be much more worrisome than a bit of extra weight. After all you can put your dog on a diet, but you cant bring them back from the dead.

Hi

I totally agree with you. I rather have a bigger dog then a dead one.
But the dog I am talking about gets a two hour walk every day and gets feed good nutritious dog food (small portions) .Someone said that it’s the breed.
I had a Doberman ***** for 15 years and she never put on any weight when I had her spayed.

Thanks

Sabby

I totally agree as well, and all my pets are spayed or neutered, well except my fish and birds. A bit hard to do the surgery on those isn't it? My Cici didn't gain weight after the spay at all. She was spayed at around 6 months, and was never in heat. But, as it's been said before, better to deal with a small issue like weight gain then cancer or infections or something worse. Besides, and you're going to think me super strange, but I think her tiny nipples are super cute! She's growling at me now because I disturbed her nap and kissed her belly! :blush: :wub:

As for the dog with the phantom prenancy, I hope she feels better soon.

Do you have $1000 for the pyometra?
do you have $5000 for cancer treatment?

This should help answer your question.

Like Kathy, I too was a VT/VN - vet tech here in the states. Ive seen both. Neither are pretty, both are expensive, and there is no guarantee of survival.
If your dog gets fat, it's because the diet is wrong or she isn't getting enough exercise -- as everyone else has said. Her fur should not change b/c she got spayed - there is no correlation there.

Three out of four of my dogs are neutered. Not one is fat or has a poor coat.

Exercise and correct amounts of food will sort the fatness - a great deal of dogs do not do anywhere NEAR a sufficient quantity of exercise per day and most are overfed, in fact the recommendations on the sides of dog food packets are often up to 25% MORE than the dog actually needs.

Coats will come right if looked after properly, that means grooming right down to the skin, removing dead undercoat regularly, making sure the diet is good for the skin, and NOT having your pet clippered off.

A lot of dogs who are routinely clippered or shaved almost bald are supposed to be hand stripped, ie the long dead hairs plucked out by hand. Those breeds include spaniels, setters, westies, wire haired fox terriers, schnauzers..... but basically pretty much any breed especially those with wire hair, can be stripped.

The difference is this. Stripping removes the oldest longest hairs, it then allows the new hairs to lie close to the skin, protecting from heat, cold, wind and wet.

A long coat will become 'open' and will tend to eventually curl in some breeds including border terriers, spaniels etc. When this happens the coat is so open it lets IN heat, cold, water, wind etc.

If you shave the coat off instead of stripping you ONLY shorten it. You do not THIN it and thus whilst shorter, it still remains open and will end up softened further by the clippers, and so grow back curlier, more open and less heat/cold/weather proof.

So neuter your pet, feed appropriate and groom appropriately adn dont be tempted to take shortcuts such as shaving, as that will only ruin the coat more.

Most reactions

Back